Intercooler Removal

This is a discussion on Intercooler Removal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can anyone recommend a thread on how to remove the intercooler. If its immediately apparent just tell me im an ...

Intercooler Removal

Can anyone recommend a thread on how to remove the intercooler. If its immediately apparent just tell me im an idiot and to look when i get out there. I'm installing some samcos this afternoon so I just thought i'd ask now.

Thanks
    Para

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The easiest way (that I have found) is to:

1: open hood (joke)
    2: Loosen clamps on throttle body and turbo outlet hoses with flat-head screwdriver
    3: Remove three ten mm bolts from breather tubes running across the front of the intercooler
    4: Remove the two 12mm bolts holding the intercooler to its mounts
    5: Remove the two 12mm bolts holding the BOV to the intercooler and carefully pull the BOV away from the intercooler.
    6: Carefully use a flathead screwdriver and pry the hoses off of the throttle body and turbo outlet (CAREFULLY) and at the same time put pressure on the intercooler away from the throttle body and turbo outlet.
    7: Once you have the hoses loose remove the intercooler and changing the hoses should be a breeze. Good luck.

Wow that's thorough I greatly appreciate it. Gonna give it a go here now. I'll let you know how it comes out. I got some constant torque clamps so I should have a great seal. Just hope theres plenty of room.

Para

no need to remove the 3 bolts on the breather line....its easier to just slide off the three hoses and leave the tube connected to the I/C.

btw, paragon, where are you in IL?

I live in champaign urbana. Grew up and my parents live in Peoria. I'm moving up to the naperville area in a month. Basically if you live in illinois I'm coming to a city near you.

Well install completed. I learned a lot. Sure its 40 degrees and raining out but I am not one to be discouraged. It all went together intuitively enough when I took my time. Gonna do a new K & N drop in filter tomorrow. Hopefully btw the two mods the butt dyno will register improvement.

Thanks for the help to those who posted.

Para

My sister lives in Mohamet and they a own couple restaraunts in Urbana. I used to go to school in Bloomington and now live like 15 minutes from Naperville. Hit me up when you move up.
    Good luck with the car

Did not quite workout

Man, I tried those instructions, but I got as far as the turbo outlet and that sucker just did not want to let go. I'm kind of pissed that I got that far but could not pull it all the way off. Oh well, I may have to pay someone to do it.. at least if they chop up one of my hoses it's up to them to fix it, rather than me bumming a ride to go to the auto store (or the dealer )

update: Well, after a little lubing I got the sucker off. Whew, no need to resort to extreme (expensive) measures. I think I'll clean it up a little before putting it back in.
    Last edited by Retro; 04-25-2004 at 04:22 PM.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I used a hair dryer to heat up the hoses when removing (as well as re-installing). It makes them a little more pliable which is a big help. I also read of someone using rubbing alcohol as lubricant -- temporarily provides lube, yet leaves no residue.

For lube some water will work, just don't use a hose and have someone wet the metal when it gets exposed (when pulling back on the intercooler) . Anyone know of a lube that won't cause any issues? Is there anything that would just get injested by the engine without fouling sensors?
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!