How do I clean my floormats well?

This is a discussion on How do I clean my floormats well? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had my WRX for about a year now, and clean the interior from time to time (although not often ...

How do I clean my floormats well?

I've had my WRX for about a year now, and clean the interior from time to time (although not often enough). Anyways, I am in the middle of a vacuum/Armorall session right now and was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to clean my floormats well. They look dirty and ratty--pretty beat up (and they are shedding). The "WRX" logo on the front mats is dirty and darker than it was originally, and the carpets in general just look like they are holding a lot of dirt and maybe some stains. The rest of my interior looks pretty nice and clean, and the floormats just look cheap and nappy. I'm assuming some sort of carpet shampoo should clean them up a good deal, but figured I'd ask here what I should look for at the store. Thanks in advance, my vacuuming, carpet-scrubbing friends...
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    You can't really do anything other than steam clean them maybe. They are meant to protect your floor carpeting so if they're very dirty, then just replace them. I just put the rubber mats over the floor mats and use them year round. My floor mats still look brand new.

Calvin

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah come on now, they're just black carpet. You don't throw 'em away 'cause they're dirty. Or are you one of those guys who only wears his underwear once then throws them away?

Several options:

1) Take 'em to a do-it-yourself car wash. They often have mat clamps on the wall. Hang 'em up and power wash 'em then leave them out to dry.

2) Those little hand held spot-lifter "steam" (really just hot water) cleaners might work well if you have one.

3) Get a carpet cleaner of some sort - I like to use a foaming cleaner they sell at auto parts stores. Also get a good stiff nylon brush. Go to work on them.

ANy way you do it you can make those stock mats look good for years. You could even use a q-tip and a dilute (VERY dilute) bleach solution to whiten up the embroidery. Be VERY careful (and don't blame me!) 'cause you don't want to get it on the black - it'll look just like getting bleach on a black t-shirt.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Perhaps this should be moved to cockpit and cabin - I bet those dudes know a bunch about cleaning interiors.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

cnk
    Originally posted by GV27
    Ah come on now, they're just black carpet. You don't throw 'em away 'cause they're dirty. Or are you one of those guys who only wears his underwear once then throws them away?
    To tell you the truth, that's why I use the rubber floor mats. They protect the carpet underneath. I never really understood why people just use the floor mats and then wonder what to do when they get so dirty. The floor mats are meant to protect the floor carpeting so if they're getting dirty, they're doing they're job. If the interest is in protecting the interior of the car, get the rubber floor mats.

Then again, this could be a cultural difference here. I'm asian and I never understood why most other cultures don't take they're shoes off when they go in to their house. The same thinking applies for the cars I guess. . .I've always had rubber mats on top of the floor mats that come with my cars.

Calvin

so.....calvin......what you are saying...... is that......

i can have your OEM floormats because they are hidden underneath your rubber ones anyways?

i'm just trying to keep the parts of my car that are in plain site clean... not that i dont expect them to get dirty, but i also hope that i can clean them once in a while...

thanks for the info given so far everyone...

o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

cnk
    Hahaha. . no way man. . not after I spent all that time meticulously calculating the best way to lay the rubber mats down to fully protect the floor mats underneath!! I knew that Computer Science degree would come in handy one of these days.

Seriously though. . .any carpet cleaner should work. Or. . you could be like my friend that just got a CLK and make everyone that gets in his car take their shoes off!!! hahahaha. . even his newly wed wife!!

Calvin

just throw it in the washing machine like i did came out like brand new

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah yes....

When I said "I like to use a foaming cleaner they sell at auto parts stores" in my first post that sentence was supposed to end with "called Tuff Stuff". That Tuff Stuff is good stuff.

C

1993 Honda CBR600F2

the washing machine.........let them soak for a few hours

haha, its 20 degrees, it looks like washer for a couple cycles, and then a session on low heat in the dryer.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

just take them out and hose them down, then scrub them with the stuff dR was talking about. Then spray all the soap out, and let dry in the sun for a few hours. Good as new.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

SBW
    Dude, first off, anyone who comes in the car has to take two seconds to click their heels together and get the majority of sand, dirt or whatever off their shoes before they place them on my mats.

I got tired of the ugly rubber mats and just use the carpeted ones, I use a steamer/carpet shampooer about once a month during the summer on my carpet/floormat and they come out nice. Plus it gets any odors out too, and I do this to the seats too.

use the Soak cycle in the washing machine - they come out like new......
    - DC
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn