break-in period- new STI owner

This is a discussion on break-in period- new STI owner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; new 04 Black- is break in period a myth as long as you are not too abusive?- thx...

break-in period- new STI owner

new 04 Black- is break in period a myth as long as you are not too abusive?- thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well nobody really knows. There are so many different variables that it is impossible to say that if you do W break-in your car will last longer than X break-in. Or, if you do Y break-in your car will have more power than Z break-in.

I followed the owners manual break-in for the first 600 miles and let her rip after that.

BTW, Porsche recommends no break-in for their cars (or so I have read) and the first 100 miles of every Lamborghini are spent ripping thru the streets of Sant' Agata by a Lambo test driver.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

thanks- its hard to be sedate in this car as i'm sure you know- we'll do it by the book, but not totally coddle her long!- ken

The dealer told me that the engine comes from the factory already broken in, but to take it easy for the first 500 miles or so... to let the rest of the car break in. I waited until about 2000 miles before doing and AWD launches.

i remember reading an article about it, the whole break in period is because something in the engine possibly valves or i cant remember exactly what they said need a lil time to set, some engines more than others and they think if you push em hard at first they may not set correctly, other companys are so sure they are set right you dont have to wait before you put the engine through anything you can give it

Besides the engine, during break in you should take it easy to prevent damage to the clutch and brakes. The flywheel and brake rotors need to be 'seasoned' to withstand heat fluctuations. In addition, the brake pads and friction materials on the clutch need to be bedded in to resist brake fade and clutch slippage. Rapid heating and cooling of new brake rotors causes them to warp. As the rotors age and they go through a few heat cycles and they will become 'seasoned' and will better withstand warping from occasional hard use. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of metallurgy can explain this better?

Blair

the subaru dealership told me 1,000 miles then come back and get the oil changed....then after that if you want to, wait for the 3rd oil change and you can go to synthetic oil and diffrent gear oil if you choose
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

Originally posted by WRXout
    the subaru dealership told me 1,000 miles then come back and get the oil changed....then after that if you want to, wait for the 3rd oil change and you can go to synthetic oil and diffrent gear oil if you choose
    Are you talking about an STI or a WRX because the thread starter is asking about an STI?

my bad it would be 2000
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.