I promise you that I searched...

This is a discussion on I promise you that I searched... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm not asking what kind is the best tranny fluid. I've got no complaints about the shifting in my WRX, ...

AJT

I promise you that I searched...

I'm not asking what kind is the best tranny fluid. I've got no complaints about the shifting in my WRX, and have 34k on the car and just want to change the tranny (5 speed) and diff fluid and put in fresh OEM stuff. My problem is that my local Subaru dealer (where I managed to spend frickin $65 on just 1 oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter...) doesn't sell tranny fluid. They said that they get theirs in big drums and have no idea what manufacturer it is. I went to one of my local auto parts stores and the ONLY 75w90 NON synthetic oil they have is some no name stuff that I've never heard of and am not completely comfortable putting in my car. I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to at least use a brand that I'm familiar and comfortable with like Mobil or Castrol, but don't want to do the synthetic thing. I don't want to have the dealer do it because all of the service guys seem like weasels and I much prefer to do my own work. Any help?

Thanks-

Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    I don't know what Subaru uses, but I'm sure you could give www.subaruparts.com a try. Give them a call and see if they can help you out. There are other dealers out there you could call around for as well. I put Redline synthetic in my car and haven't had any problems in 25k miles thus far. If you're willing to switch to synthetic, Neo is also another good one and is what the WRC teams use in their cars.

Calvin

I Support ClubWRX
    It's just like motor oil - the dealership will put in whatever they have in the drum like they said.

Go to a different parts store - or even Wal-Mart. Most of the big oil manufacturers make dino gear oil as well.

The SUbaru WRC team actually uses Motul fluids.

C
    Last edited by GV27; 12-24-2003 at 07:27 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Re: I promise you that I searched...

Originally posted by AJT
    I'm not asking what kind is the best tranny fluid. I've got no complaints about the shifting in my WRX, and have 34k on the car and just want to change the tranny (5 speed) and diff fluid and put in fresh OEM stuff. My problem is that my local Subaru dealer (where I managed to spend frickin $65 on just 1 oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter...) doesn't sell tranny fluid. They said that they get theirs in big drums and have no idea what manufacturer it is. I went to one of my local auto parts stores and the ONLY 75w90 NON synthetic oil they have is some no name stuff that I've never heard of and am not completely comfortable putting in my car. I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to at least use a brand that I'm familiar and comfortable with like Mobil or Castrol, but don't want to do the synthetic thing. I don't want to have the dealer do it because all of the service guys seem like weasels and I much prefer to do my own work. Any help?

Thanks-

Andy

red line... 75w90 or 75w90NS

its good stuff.

-mike

AJT

Re: Re: I promise you that I searched...

Originally posted by MJU1983
    red line... 75w90 or 75w90NS

its good stuff.

-mike
    I've read about plenty of people that have had good results. The part I don't understand is that there always seems to be at least a few who haven't had such positive reviews about most every synthetic I've looked into...

-Andy