Syptom: vibration when braking at high speeds

This is a discussion on Syptom: vibration when braking at high speeds within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my friends thinks it's because my rotor(s) are warped. The fix will be new rotors. I get the vibration ...

Syptom: vibration when braking at high speeds

So my friends thinks it's because my rotor(s) are warped. The fix will be new rotors.

I get the vibration only at speeds greater than 70 mph and it's only during the initial decelleration (read: does not keep vibrating).

Is there anything else that could cause this?

opinions?

thanks,

Dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First thing that came to my mind was warped rotors, but I know someone that had a similar problem and it was fixed from just new pads.

Do you use a torque wrench on your wheels? Uneven lug torque is about the easiest way to warp a rotor.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is pretty common. My theory is that the stock pads have a bad out-gassing problem. Switching to aftermarket pads cured this on my car.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Clarification:
    I have Hawk HPS pads on...installed about 5 months ago.
    I did have an incident where a loose lug resulted in the stud breaking off my front left wheel...the wheel itself became dangerously loose. I had it replaced at a reputable garage.

The vibrations happened well after that event, so that's why I didn't think it directly correlated.

How can I tell if the rotors are indeed warped? or if the pads are bad. It's cold here in MI...don;t really want to mess around w/ the car too much...

thanks for your input,

dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL. I kinda thought you'd been around long enough to know about the stock pads, Dan!

Use one of these to measure it. You might be able to rent/borrow one from an autoparts store:

http://www.hswtools.com/store/mercha...tegory_Code=ST

Try getting your wheels re-balanced. It's certailnly possible for an out of balance wheel or out of round tire to only show up as vibrations under deceleration forces.

You'd probably feel warped rotors at all speeds.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GV27
    [B]LOL. I kinda thought you'd been around long enough to know about the stock pads, Dan!

??? What about the stcok pads? I did a search..nothing.

...and even tho I've been around, I still come across "blind-spots" in my "training"

Try getting your wheels re-balanced. It's certailnly possible for an out of balance wheel or out of round tire to only show up as vibrations under deceleration forces.

I swapped back to stock wheels and tires for the winter and there's still vibration. So I don't think it's a wheel balancing issue.

You'd probably feel warped rotors at all speeds.

I just wish it was warm enough for me to pull them off and inspect them properly...for now, unless people think it's a BIG mistake...I'll try to ride out the winter the way it is.

dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual