04 WRX dying on highway? Only makes .6 bar boost all the time?

This is a discussion on 04 WRX dying on highway? Only makes .6 bar boost all the time? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A friend of mine has an 04 WRX sedan. Purchased with 1700 miles on it with about 5000 on it ...

04 WRX dying on highway? Only makes .6 bar boost all the time?

A friend of mine has an 04 WRX sedan. Purchased with 1700 miles on it with about 5000 on it now, and has an HKS downpipe with a tanabe racing medallion cat back. It has a CEL on it from the downpipe, which is normal without a resistor on it to eliminate it. However, it keeps dying on the freeway after about 5 miles of driving it! He looses all power to the brakes, steering , etc. Lets it coast, turns it off and takes keys out, and then its okay. What could cause this? Also, something i noticed is that it only makes .6 bar through everygear all the time. The dealership "tempted" him with a reflash for the ECU, at his own cost of $650. Wouldn't they have to honor that it should be making full boost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Has he pulled the codes to make sure it's only the cat back throwing the CEL?

He needs to find the problem before he reflashes the ECU!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Shouldn't the Subaru dealer pull those codes for free for him?

I Support ClubWRX
    No. If there is a mod that is known to be throwing a CEL then it's not really Subaru's problem any more. On the other hand it's easy so they might if he asks them. But if you have a mod that is already throwing a CEL the best the dealership is gonna do is say "get the issue resolved then we'll look and see if there is a problem covered by warranty". The worst they're going to say is that the mods are screwing up the computer (it is - hence the CEL). so nothing is their problem. I know most people deprive the ECU of certain information, but just on principle that seems like a bad idea to me!

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I see. If i can put my mods on , we'll hopefully bolt my stock dp and cat back onto his car and take it in to see whats up. ( It wasnt making full boost without the mods either.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Uhg - adding mods to an already malfunctioning machine makes things ugly.

.6 bar is around the wastegate spring pressure. Has the boost control system been monkeyed with? That'd be my guess.

C

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Thats what i figured. Do the stock BOV on 04's always sound like they vent to atmosphere. His is really loud......compared to mine ( i have an 02 though). It sounds like its going directly to atmosphere.

Maybe he forgot to reconnect the tube on the side of the BOV...instead of recirculating it would vent to atm.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

Take the car to Autozone... they pull codes for free. Then you'll know if it's just the downpipe or if it's something else throwing the CEL.

The BOV on '04s are just like the others, full recirc. Can't hear it at all stock. That could definately be part of the problem.