Tie Rod Removal, please help...

This is a discussion on Tie Rod Removal, please help... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it possible to remove the tie rod with the steering box still conncected. How do you acheive this? It ...

Tie Rod Removal, please help...

Is it possible to remove the tie rod with the steering box still conncected. How do you acheive this? It looks like you can unscrew it directly from the bulging section of it. Has anybody ever done this personally. I only need to replace one side, so i really don't want to have to take out the whole unit. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nobody in suspension and handling seems to know. Perhaps one of you Suby techs knows!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looking at the manual- I'd say it would be difficult, but possible. The entire boot needs to be removed, first the tie rod end (two bolts), then a small clip, then a band on the other end. Then you need to pull the rack out ~ 40mm and remove another clip. They show a specail tool- sapnner wrench) to loosen the lock nut, then tighten the adjusting screw unti it no longer tightens and finally using a 32mm wrench remove the tie rod.

Looks like a couple of "special tools" are used and they show it being done w/ the rack removed as I'm guessing quarters will be tight.

Good luck.

Big Sky

Thanks Big Sky, i'm not quite sure what i'm going to do with it yet, i guess i'm just gonna take out the whole rack, thanks again.