Clutch Replacement Problems

This is a discussion on Clutch Replacement Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone have any problems replacing the clutch or having the clutch replaced? I had the clutch replaced last week with ...

Clutch Replacement Problems

Anyone have any problems replacing the clutch or having the clutch replaced?

I had the clutch replaced last week with OEM parts and it is making a weird squeaking/grinding noise every time I engage or disengage the clutch.

If you used OEM parts which part numbers did you use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Was the installer experienced? Who did it?

Originally posted by MisterX
    Was the installer experienced? Who did it?
    An ASE Certified mechanic that has been working on Subarus and has been in business for fifteen years.
    Last edited by scoolbuzz; 12-06-2003 at 07:55 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Heck, if he's been in business that long just take it back to him. I doubt he'd still be in business if he doesn't stand by his work.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I am this week.

We found out what happened. The OEM replacement clutch disk was too deep for the flywheel so the bolt heads were grinding on the flywheel. According to the TSB on clutch judder, if the flywheel is in good condition and has over 30K miles everything should have worked right (my flywheel was in great shape and has 41K miles on it). Unfortunately not in my case.

I am waiting for a, "Subaru Rep.," to find out whether or not I will be reimbursed for the second labor charge I have to pay and the flywheel.

Still waiting.

I just received this bs yesterday:

"I have bad news the rep was just here. He said he will not cover the cost of the flywheel or the additional cost of the repair. He sited the fact that it was not done at the dealership in the first place as the reason. If it was done at the Subaru dealer they would have replaced the flywheel at no cost to you and it would not have damaged the disk or the flywheel. It turns out your car falls on a very narrow production date that requires the flywheel to be replaced as part of the update. I showed him the bulletin and the part about the flywheel but he will not budge. If we could have looked at it on Friday instead of taking back to the independent shop I could have had the whole repair done under warranty and refunded you the cost of the flywheel. He said to call the Subaru National Help line at 800.subaru.3 and plead your case to them and maybe they will refund you some of the money. Since it was not done at the Subaru dealer in the Springs or here at my dealer the rep will not help me. He is requesting that step back and have you go directly through Subaru from this point on. I tried to explain the case to him but he is not willing to listen to me. I apologize for this unfortunate situation and I will do what I can to help you but my hands are currently tied. I can help you with the performance parts but I can't help with the clutch. My apologies. "

So, if you call a Subaru dealership to order the replacement parts for a clutch, they will tell you that you don't need to replace the flywheel, but if you buy a flywheel just in case your flywheel is in bad shape to be on the safe side and everything installs just fine, but it doesn't work like it should it is your fault because they didn't tell you that the disc HAD to be replaced? And because you didn't have a Subaru dealer install it they won't refund any of the money. WTF?

I am waiting on another answer from the dealership.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is your engine number lower than 331738? If not the part about the flywheel does not apply. Or perhaps something has been amended to the TSB. The TSB is just a guide to the dealer about how to solve customer problems. It is by no means the last word on the subject.

Did you double check the VIN with the dealership you bought the parts at to make sure you had everything you needed?

I'm afraid you're probably out of luck either way. I just can't see them reimbursing you for work done by a non-dealer mechanic. That's just not how things work. Good luck, though.

C
    Last edited by GV27; 12-24-2003 at 08:41 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    Is your engine number lower than 331738? If not the part about the flywheel does not apply. Or perhaps something has been amended to the TSB. The TSB is just a guide to the dealer about how to solve customer problems. It is by no means the last word on the subject.

Did you double check the VIN with the dealership you bought the parts at to make sure you had everything you needed?

I'm afraid you're probably out of luck either way. I just can't see them reimbursing you for work done by a non-dealer mechanic. That's just not how things work. Good luck, though.

C
    What is really funny, not really, is that the dealer didn't ask me for a VIN number or a engine number when I first ordered the parts.

In case I have confused anyone, this is what has happened:

I called to have the Subaru dealership send me the parts that I needed to replace my clutch. On the first call they sold me everything shy of the flywheel to do the replacement. I called back the same day and asked if that was all I needed and they told me that the only other thing would be a flywheel, but it should not have to be replaced unless there was excessive wear or heat spots on it. Since I was having the parts shipped and I wanted to be safe I told him to send me a flywheel just in case so that I would have the parts there if necessary. He said that I could return it if I didn't need it.

When my mechanic installed them and test drove the car there was a loud screeching noise when the clutch was enaging or disengaging. I went to the Subaru dealership and they said that there was something wrong so I could have them take it apart next week, which I couldn't because I didn't have time to wait, so I talked to my mechanic and he tore the car back down again provided Subaru would have the parts shipped to us in time.

When it was torn down we found out that the parts for the clutch replacement were not compatible with the stock flywheel that was on my car when I purchased it. All of the bolts on the pressure plate? dug into the flywheel. Not until THEN did Subaru tell us that we needed to replace the flywheel along with the other clutch replacement parts. Subaru paid for the second clutch replacement parts but does not want to pay for the flywheel or the second labor charge I have to pay.

If they had of told me that I would have needed to replace the flywheel from the start none of this would have happened.

Note: The only reason why the flywheel has to be replaced is because of the TSB on clutch judder, which is a fault of Subaru and not mine.

Thumbs up

Update:

Today, 3/11/04, I received $350 of $358.50 of the cost that it took to replace the clutch the second time. My mechanic was amazed when I came in with my credit card on 2/13/04 telling him to put the charge on my card for the labor that he was waiting to charge me for. He couldn't believe that Subaru did this for me.

They didn't pay for the flywheel though, but that is the least of my concerns - I can take my car back to my mechanic for maintenance and repair work again!

Thanks Subaru and most of all Joe at Mike Shaw in Denver, CO for putting up with me calling about this once a week since this incident occurred. (It could have happened a little faster though... !)