First Oil change for 04 STI

This is a discussion on First Oil change for 04 STI within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay I got this car and I know i has synth oil in it stock from the line, my car ...

First Oil change for 04 STI

Okay I got this car and I know i has synth oil in it stock from the line, my car has 1300 miles on it about a month old have been granny driving it for the breakin period and I was told that due to the metal wear of a brandnew engine breaking in and the fact that I dont have a magnetic drain plug that the oil needs to be changed at or around 1500-2000 miles for the first time to rid the engine of any metal particles. Is this true or should I wait for a specific amount of time?

thanks for your time ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh yeah and what is the best oil weight to use for san diego county this time of the year giving the colder temparatures and all?

I Support ClubWRX
    First an LOL on cold weather in San Diego. It was 1 deg. the other morning here! I'm not sure it ever gets cold enough in SD to make a difference!

No reason at all to wait to change your oil. There are plenty of myths about "break-in oil" and not putting synthetic in early. But of course the fact your car came from the factory with synthetic oil pretty well blows those myths out of the water!

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I talked to a guy at the dealer and he suggested an oil change twice before the 1k mark to clear the system of shavings. I know, coming from a dealer, that this could be a "make more money" type deal, but this guy wasnt your typical 45yo dealer trying to screw some "young punk". He was around 25yo and a wrx owner and enthusiast. He even sugested a place other than dealer for the oil chnges. Im not sure if this would be helpfull or not, seeing as Ive NEVER seen any manufacturer suggest this.
    You shut your MOUTH when you're talkin to me!

hrmmm well i guess that i dont qualify for the 2x in the first 1k so i am going to change it monday after work then!

thankyou

Dont have an STI but i have the regualr 04 wrx, I bought my car from a dealer, the owner of the subaru dealership is a friend of the family , he told me first oil change is 2500-3000 miles, i have 1750 on the car right now, should i get the change asap and what motor oil, the first 800 mile break in was granny driving except for a couple instances, let me know what i should do

I did my first oil change at 1000 miles and then 3750 after that.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX