ENGINE Has sudden loss of power
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ENGINE Has sudden loss of power within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i just recently had a sudden loss of power in my 2003 wrx. its incredibly slow and my ...

Red face ENGINE Has sudden loss of power

Hey guys i just recently had a sudden loss of power in my 2003 wrx. its incredibly slow and my turbo doesnt seem to be spooling up as normal or working like it used to. Do any of u guys have any idea what happened? is it turbo failure? or maybe is my engine blown? i dont know too much about this situation so any info will help. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take it to your mechanic.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

What kinda response is that? What if every question was answered by "Take it to your mechanic"...

Yola, you have to give out some more specific's if you want a real answer. What mods do you have? How were you driving when you noticed it? Any leaks or unusual smells/sounds? Anything specific would help or provide a better response.

-alex

Originally posted by wRxOne
    What kinda response is that?

-alex
    Good point. You shouldn't take your broken car to a mechanic.

That's my way of saying that you really haven't given us much to work with. How were you driving when this happened? Have you seen any funky smoke coming from the hoodscoop or exhaust? Has there been any odd noises since the failure? Is there any sort of liquid on or around the turbocharger? Have you turned up the boost on your stock turbo? Let us know. Otherwise, take it to your mechanic.
    Last edited by Bask Oner; 11-24-2003 at 10:32 PM.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

I could swear they were asking for information somewhere in the post. But hey I'm down to answer anything that a mechanic will charge you $50/hour to answer.

Oh it's your motor, there's something wrong with it. $50 bucks. Next question...

-alex

alright guys, i was driving normally, or not speeding. there is no smoke or anything like that, the exhaust smelles rich in gasoline though. no liquids leaking but my car does sound a little different than before. like i can hear something shaking. it maybe sounds like somethings loose in the exhaust piping. although when i gas it my car is much slower, its still smooth, like all i lost was power, but i cant really hear my turbo spool up anymore.

I Support ClubWRX
    You may have an uppipe leak. Do you notice any extra noise coming from anywhere, whether it's a new noise or a normal noise that got louder? I had an uppipe leak and it litereally sounded like my exhaust was in the front of the car. There was no power delivery either.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Actually i had just noticed gas gathering in my exhaust tip

Maybe your Blow me (oops I mean off) valve is loose ar not working properly.

what mods do you have? The uppipe and BOV sound reasonable but not that much for the power loss your stating. your running super rich if you have gas gathering at the exhaust tip. I had a buddy who overtuned thier U-Tech and had gas comming out of the exhaust pipes when we ran at the track once. But he didn't notice a sudden loss of power but he did run a slower time.

-alex

boy i hope this thread is still alive n kickin cause I have a similar problem. My buddy was the one that pointed it out to me... he came up to me and told me that I had a huge "exhaust leak" judgin just from when I drove by him. I had him drive the car and he confirmed his own words, i have a bad exhaust leak. We opened the hood, TRIED to feel down the turbo, downpipe, and that general area but couldnt really feel a leak. were pretty sure its a gasket or some sort but I dont know exactly where tho... someone in this thread mentioned that their car sounded like their exhaust was in the "front" of the car, yeah, thats my prob too... here my symptoms...
    1) lost of boost, big time
    2) my gas milieage, PSH, CRAPPPPP!
    3) i turn my ac on i smell exhaust fumes
    4) i hear a leaking sound noise coming from my turbo/exhaust area when I accelerate

if anyone has any idea what this might sound like please put ur input. thnx

i had the same thing on my 06 tr. i took it to the mechanic and he told me that it was because of a clogged cat since i was running a sr intake. i went back to stock airbox reset the ecu and things were back to normal. try that?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.