Low Coolant....WTF??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Low Coolant....WTF?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all...need help! I check my coolant the other day and it is WAYYY LOW in the reservoir. So I ...

Low Coolant....WTF??

Hey all...need help!

I check my coolant the other day and it is WAYYY LOW in the reservoir. So I have a bunch of questions. THis is my first car and I
    don't know much so go easy on me.

Can I just purchase Subaru cooland and pour more in?

Or do I have to flush everything out and then pour some new coolant in? If I have to flush, how do I do it? Anything special I have to do other than empty it all from the bottom like the oil?

Finally...is it possible to "burn" or use up your coolant? I have a
    04 rex sedan that I drive HARD (When I accelerate I take it to
    redline ALOT, cuz I think its fun). Its got about 4400 miles on it.
    Thank you for replies in advance!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just buy any generic coolant and pour it into the resioviour (when engine is cold) until the full line. thats it.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

This being your first car, are you sure you're checking the coolant fill reservoir or the overflow tank near the battery? If the engine is cold and the overflow tank is a bit on the low side, it doesn't mean you're low on coolant. But if the engine is fully warm and your overflow tank is bone dry AND your fill reservoir is low, you have some serious issues.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

I Support ClubWRX
    Remember that water and coolant make up the stuff cooling your engine. Water evaporates faster than coolant, so you may have burned up some water. Fill the resevoir back up with water, and check in a few days.

Have you used your heater in the car lately? The heater core, the main ingredient in your heater system, uses coolant from the motor to heat up the inside of the car. If your coolant is at a certain level, and the heater was never used, the heater core would be dry and would use up some of the egines coolant to fill up the system. This is normal. When flushing the coolant system, you should always turn on the heater in the car so it will fill the heater core and its system.

If these 2 suggestions don't help, you need to bring your car to the dealer and find out what is going on.

tan
    with so many different coolant formulations out there....you can't mix and match anymore.

Spend the extra money on OE coolant.

ok hey thanks all...

OKay I guess I am talking about the overflow-- I was look at the
    one near the battery. The radiator cap was full to the brim. But
    I checked the "overflow" while cold (first thing in the morning) and
    it was below the low line. The manual I got says to fill that sucker past the full line. that is on page 11-18 I believe.

So what do I do? just get more "Subaru" coolant and fill it?

Oh yah and I use my heater an s(*& load. Could that use up coolant?

THANKS!

2 options:

1) fill the overflow tank with distilled water to desired level

2) fill said tank with 50/50 coolant and distilled water.

I won't recommend what coolant to use because I've only really used OEM coolant in my car. Like I said before, if your overflow tank is empty when the engine is warm, THEN you have problems. It doesn't sound like you have any real issues other than not knowing much about taking care of your car. Keep searching around and you'll find some helpful info.

This is directly from the subaru site:

Coolant

When: Every Fuel Stop
    Check your car's coolant level on the outside of the reservoir while the engine is cool. If the level is close to or lower than the "LOW" mark, add coolant up to the "FULL" mark. If the reserve tank is empty, remove the radiator cap (Do not open when the radiator is hot!) and refill as required. After filling the reserve tank and the radiator, reinstall the caps and check that the rubber gasket inside the radiator cap is in the proper position.
    IMPORTANT: Use the coolant recommended in your Owner's Manual only. Use of other coolants may result in corrosion.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

I have an 03 WRX Wagon.

When the car is cold the coolant just makes it to the low mark.

When the car is hot it is at the hot/high mark.

I brought the car to the dealer to have them top off the resevoir and they told me that as long as the coolant is at the low mark when cold it is ok.

I am not sure if this is right but this is what the dealer told me.

thank yOU for replies!

ok thank u soooo much guys. im gonna buy some coolant today since i just drove my car to school and back and its still really low =(.

f*** i think i bought coolant for nothing. I wish the manual the
    car comes with was more clear. I just checked it after driving for
    about 20 minutes and the level is between the L and Full.

Here is my last question..is it ok to just add coolant to the overflow? Or do I have to add 1 part distilled water to every part
    coolant I add? Also, can I just *add* the coolant/mixture?

Here is a question, you all say I need to add 50/50 right? Well
    the subaru stuff is the kind that is pre mixed, or not?It says the concentration (on the label) is 50/70.

OK well the label says to add 50 subaru and 50 water. But it
    says how to flush also....I am assuming I dont have to since my
    car has only 4500 miles on it.

thanks

P.S. Oh yah btw, I opened my radiator cap while the engine was cold.....can this F*** anything up cuz I messed with the pressure? Should I turn the heater on? Oh well nothing has blown up yet.
    Last edited by r0xz0rz; 11-24-2003 at 02:59 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by r0xz0rz
    f*** i think i bought coolant for nothing. I wish the manual the
    car comes with was more clear. I just checked it after driving for
    about 20 minutes and the level is between the L and Full.

Here is my last question..is it ok to just add coolant to the overflow? Or do I have to add 1 part distilled water to every part
    coolant I add? Also, can I just *add* the coolant/mixture?

Here is a question, you all say I need to add 50/50 right? Well
    the subaru stuff is the kind that is pre mixed, or not?It says the concentration (on the label) is 50/70.

OK well the label says to add 50 subaru and 50 water. But it
    says how to flush also....I am assuming I dont have to since my
    car has only 4500 miles on it.

thanks

P.S. Oh yah btw, I opened my radiator cap while the engine was cold.....can this F*** anything up cuz I messed with the pressure? Should I turn the heater on? Oh well nothing has blown up yet.
    Please read this link to get an understanding about how the radiator and coolant works to cool your motor.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system.htm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.