MY04 WRX Vibrating at Idle...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on MY04 WRX Vibrating at Idle...? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, guys. I just picked up my rex not too long ago, and i notice a shake or two in ...

MY04 WRX Vibrating at Idle...?

Hey, guys.

I just picked up my rex not too long ago, and i notice a shake or two in the car about every 4-5 seconds or so at idle. The tach needle is fine, it's completely still and doesn't move a notch. It's like, every 4 seconds or so, the car "shutters", almost like a heart beating. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about.

I guess my question is... is this normal for 04 or any new wrx's? I took it to the dealer (Carter Subaru in Seattle) and they said it was normal. I was like... huh? They said my car hasn't been broken in yet (it only has 100 miles).

Any replies would help. Thanks!
    ***2004 WRB WRX/Stocker than stocks***

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ahhhh....

the wonderful feeling of a boxer's rumble! Enjoy your babies vibes.
    Jeff R.
    2002 wrb wrx wagon
    1989 Jeep Cherokee
    and a stable full of bicycles

I Support ClubWRX
    Although the reason they gave you is hogwash, the car does tend to feel rough at idle - it'll burble and put-put-put rather than hum. A car with a balanced inline motor will have a smoother idle.

Check other Subarus, turbo or not it doesn't matter. If your idle differs, insist the dealer check it out. Most likely though your idle will not differ.

What rpm does your idle settle to when the motor is fully warmed up?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It is normal- The reason is, because the boxer engine is flat, it doesn't dampen drivetrain harmonics well. What you are feeling is a small miss because of that. This is also why you might hear a tapping or knocking noise when its cold. Mine has done both since day one At first i was freaked out that a valve or something was bad, so i did compression tests, leakdown tests, and checked for miss fires but everything was ok. And after talking to other wrx owners, we all have the same problem so it can be considered "normal".
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is an independent tappet noise and an independent cold start knock noise, both known for many years and many models, in addition to the rough idle.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Whew... thanks, guys.

SD_GR, the idle is fine. The tach needle doesn't move up or down and stays nicely at about 500 during idle. The dealership said they checked my emissions and also said there were no miss fires.

I was just kinda curious and worried, but now that it's been known to happen, i'm a bit more relieved. Thanks, everyone!.

Oh yea, just a FYI... the loaner car that they gave me, a 2003 legacy, had small vibrations during idle too... but i was thinking that it was a loaner car so people didn't care too much how they drove it. But whatever.

Thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ss

I Support ClubWRX
    OK great. Mine gives an occasional shake too, as does most everyones. BTW your idle is almost certainly at 750 but looks like 500 (if it's at 500, it's low and you have a real reason for rough idle, but that's unlikely, the scale lines on the tach are misleading).

Yea, it's somewhere in between 1k and 0. I just threw 500 up there because there's really no indicator of those rpm lines below 1000. But you know what i mean.

Thanks again, guys.

I just picked up my 04 Monday and it does the same thing. Still getting used to it.

Re: MY04 WRX Vibrating at Idle...?

Originally posted by OhForRex
    They said my car hasn't been broken in yet (it only has 100 miles).
    I don't think their answer was hogwash. I think they probably get this complaint from most new owners, and have realized that if they tell the person to "put some miles" on the car, not only will the motor mounts loosen up a bit, but the person will come to realize that it's normal.

My salesperson explained it to me on the test drive, because I noticed it then. He even had me try out a couple others to prove his point. It's just a characteristic of the boxer configuration

The A/C will make the car vibrate more at idle as well
    2004 Silver WRX.
    TurboXS TBE with Prodrive Muffler - Godspeed Uppipe - UTEC - TUNA W/B - Steel Grey Rota Downshifts - VF35 - Pinks

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Although the reason they gave you is hogwash, the car does tend to feel rough at idle - it'll burble and put-put-put rather than hum. A car with a balanced inline motor will have a smoother idle.

Check other Subarus, turbo or not it doesn't matter.
    I thought the rough idle was only with the WRX because of aggressive cams or the tumble generator. A friend's GC8 RS never had the rough idle. On my '02, while sitting at a light, when it happened, I could feel it through the whole drivetrain/exhaust (body), like someone farted and it was a shock wave from the engine all the way to the exhaust tip - felt kind of like a fart that I could even feel rumbling through the seat.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

Ive had my wrx for a few months now and mine does that too, kept meaning to ask if it was normal...i kinda like the burble feel.
    2003 PSM WRX

Bugeye Mafia Hitman

Add a Stromung axelback and you will get to hear the rumble as well...It is one of the most satisfying sounds you will ever hear from a car.

I too freaked on the rough idle,........normal though

But it's wierd, I have the AccessPort and when I run Stage1 it don't idle rough...

But when I switch to Stage2 it comes back............Strange

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast