MY04 WRX Vibrating at Idle...? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on MY04 WRX Vibrating at Idle...? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Lol... try starting your car up at -35F without a headbolt heater. Your car will not just "rumble," but it ...

Lol... try starting your car up at -35F without a headbolt heater. Your car will not just "rumble," but it will violently shake you. Try this: sit inside your parked car, and have two strong friends stand on either side of the car and try to rock you back and forth as hard as they can. Nope, that's not even as bad, because the engine rocking is faster. It subsides in about 7-10 seconds though and soon gets to normal... The first time that happened to me I was like, "Oh well, there goes the engine" and was completely ready to shut off the car and call the dealer. Never experienced anything like that in a car before, and I've driven trucks, mini-vans, cars, etc. in -30F weather many times...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WTypeRogerX
    I thought the rough idle was only with the WRX because of aggressive cams or the tumble generator. A friend's GC8 RS never had the rough idle.
    My GC8 RS had it. That was actually the car that I asked about it when I was test driving, and the salesman let me drive a few others to get the feel for the subaru boxer engine.

So I changed my plugs the other day and all went well. The old plugs were pretty white / grey and looked like they needed to be changed.

But only this morning, after 5 miles of driving, while sitting at a traffic light the car rumbles and almost dies. The engine was warm... Its always rumbled a bit which im used to but this was pretty major... When cold, since the revs are higher it idles perfectly fine...

When it almost died the "check engine" light flashed for about 1/4 second... Driving it though is perfectly fine, even at lower revs...

Is there a way to up the idle, mine sits at about 400-500 RPM...

Im gona try clean the MAF tonight but Ive replaced Fuel filter, air filter, plugs, oil all in the past 3 weeks...

Will see how it idles later this evening after I drive home from work in the driveway... I can monitor it a little better then...

Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by johny_rolly View Post
    So I changed my plugs the other day and all went well. The old plugs were pretty white / grey and looked like they needed to be changed.

But only this morning, after 5 miles of driving, while sitting at a traffic light the car rumbles and almost dies. The engine was warm... Its always rumbled a bit which im used to but this was pretty major... When cold, since the revs are higher it idles perfectly fine...

When it almost died the "check engine" light flashed for about 1/4 second... Driving it though is perfectly fine, even at lower revs...

Is there a way to up the idle, mine sits at about 400-500 RPM...

Im gona try clean the MAF tonight but Ive replaced Fuel filter, air filter, plugs, oil all in the past 3 weeks...

Will see how it idles later this evening after I drive home from work in the driveway... I can monitor it a little better then...

Thanks for any input!
    along with the maf, try hosing out the throttle body too. I'm not sure about subaru's but on quite a few other modern turbo cars the throttle body gets gummy and Idle quality will suffer. I've seen lots of 1.8L vdubs with this issue. All of them did exactly what you describe.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Lol... try starting your car up at -35F without a headbolt heater. Your car will not just "rumble," but it will violently shake you. Try this: sit inside your parked car, and have two strong friends stand on either side of the car and try to rock you back and forth as hard as they can. Nope, that's not even as bad, because the engine rocking is faster. It subsides in about 7-10 seconds though and soon gets to normal... The first time that happened to me I was like, "Oh well, there goes the engine" and was completely ready to shut off the car and call the dealer. Never experienced anything like that in a car before, and I've driven trucks, mini-vans, cars, etc. in -30F weather many times...

-snowcat

That's so true. Last Winter we had -20F in Chicago for a while, and starting it up was not fun. Apart from violent shaking, there was a lot of white/bluish smoke from the exhaust for the first 20-30 seconds, and the engine whined so badly I thought a gate to hell opened somewhere close and a dying blue whale dropped into while singing it's death song or something like that. At least for about 20 - 40 seconds. Ohhh yeah, and forget about smooth gear changes, heck forget about gear changing for at least 5 minutes in such temps
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    along with the maf, try hosing out the throttle body too. I'm not sure about subaru's but on quite a few other modern turbo cars the throttle body gets gummy and Idle quality will suffer. I've seen lots of 1.8L vdubs with this issue. All of them did exactly what you describe.
    Cool will try that...

I used to have an old 88 BMW E30 and cleaning the ICV and MAF worked wonders...
    Can anyone tell me if there is an ICV (Idle Control Valve) on these cars...

Ive only had the WRX about 3 months or so, but loving it!!!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cool will try that...

I used to have an old 88 BMW E30 and cleaning the ICV and MAF worked wonders...
    Can anyone tell me if there is an ICV (Idle Control Valve) on these cars...

Ive only had the WRX about 3 months or so, but loving it!!!
    Yup, IAC or Idle Air Control valve
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

So after searching the web for 30 mins... Anyone have a good website for WRX parts...

Little things like this Idle Control Gasket is not available on any of them... Maybe im having a brain fart though, its been a long day...

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    That's so true. Last Winter we had -20F in Chicago for a while, and starting it up was not fun. Apart from violent shaking, there was a lot of white/bluish smoke from the exhaust for the first 20-30 seconds, and the engine whined so badly I thought a gate to hell opened somewhere close and a dying blue whale dropped into while singing it's death song or something like that. At least for about 20 - 40 seconds. Ohhh yeah, and forget about smooth gear changes, heck forget about gear changing for at least 5 minutes in such temps
    Would this be why when it gets cold my 1st and 2nd are really hard to get into?
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

So after searching the web for 30 mins... Anyone have a good website for WRX parts...

Little things like this Idle Control Gasket is not available on any of them... Maybe im having a brain fart though, its been a long day...
    So after not getting a chance to clean anything and just leave it idle in the driveway for about 15 mins - no sign of the shudder again... Even this morning at the same traffic light at red... No sign of the engine just dying...

Gona run some fuel system cleaner thru tonight and give it a good ol' Italian service...

Ordered the gasket too and will report on if it makes any improvement...

Thanks everyone for your help...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    Would this be why when it gets cold my 1st and 2nd are really hard to get into?
    Most likely, WRXs are notorious for being stubborn on gear changes while cold. It's got something to do with the transmission fluid viscosity at low temps and syncros.

So after not getting a chance to clean anything and just leave it idle in the driveway for about 15 mins - no sign of the shudder again... Even this morning at the same traffic light at red... No sign of the engine just dying...

Gona run some fuel system cleaner thru tonight and give it a good ol' Italian service...

Ordered the gasket too and will report on if it makes any improvement...

Thanks everyone for your help...
    May I suggest 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank, and 1/2 can if seafoam in the vacuum system.
    I had rough idle issues, which I resolved by seafoaming the engine last weekend.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

May I suggest 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank, and 1/2 can if seafoam in the vacuum system.
    I had rough idle issues, which I resolved by seafoaming the engine last weekend.

I have heard of Seafoam before but have never used it. Where do I put it to enter have it clean the vacum system? ie which is the easiest hose to disconnect and run thru?

Thanks

I have heard of Seafoam before but have never used it. Where do I put it to enter have it clean the vacum system? ie which is the easiest hose to disconnect and run thru?

Thanks
    A can of it runs for about $9 at a local auto store. If you want to clean the vacuum system, you will need an extension hose, which you attach to the vacuum hose that connects to the driver side of the bypass-valve on the intercooler. Let the engine idle and sip it in very little amount at a time so the engine doesn't stall. By little I mean a quick touch to the surface of the liquid so it sucks in just a few milliliters of it. I learned to take my time with it. Once all of the liquid is sucked in, reconnect the hose, shut it off for 5-10 min. Then restart, and don't be alarmed by the huge amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Most likely, WRXs are notorious for being stubborn on gear changes while cold. It's got something to do with the transmission fluid viscosity at low temps and syncros.
    Even when it's 32 out?
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    Even when it's 32 out?
    Ahh..not really. It was around 32F - 35F this morning and mine shifted like a champ. I meant something more extreme like -25F.

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.