WRX Oil Filter Part #'s
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Oil Filter Part #'s within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went to Subaru yesterday to buy a oil filter and I didn't know they were closed on Saturdays, (the ...

I Support ClubWRX

WRX Oil Filter Part #'s

I went to Subaru yesterday to buy a oil filter and I didn't know they were closed on Saturdays, (the parts dept.). Toyota parts dept is always open on Saturday's (since I used to own a 4Runner), so I assumed Subaru would be open.

ANYWAYS, I need to change my oil since this Wednesday I wanted to take my car to the drags. SO I did some research on Oil Filters and this is what I came up with.

Edit: Made glossary for listed oil filter part #'s:

PureONE PL14460
    Purolator Oil Filter L14460
    OEM - 15208AA060 - Made by Purolator
    K&N - HP-1004
    Amsoil - SDF-20
    Mobil 1- M1-104
    Trak Auto M4460
    Wix 51334
    Fram 3593A
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 02-02-2003 at 10:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found out the same thing on my trip to Trak Auto after forgetting to buy a filter from the dealership across the street.

And don't forget the Trak Auto brand is M4460

The funny part is that I think that's the same filter my Civic used. So the one or two I have tucked away somewhere for my civic I no longer own can now go on my WRX.

And changing the oil on this car is the easiest I've ever experienced (aside from my truck which was easy because you could slide under the truck without jacks). All of it is accessable from the front of the car, no jacks, jackstands, etc needed.

I Support ClubWRX
    You're right. I have been changing the oil in my gf's 91 civic and I have been too lazy to take the oil to the recyclers. So I also have a few of the old oil filters from her car in my parents garage. I noticed they were the same P/N as the one for my REX. Now I can go out and buy a whole case.

Yipeeeeee.
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

don't buy FRAM. they are the shoddiest filter on the market. purolator is good. Wix is better. ProTec is okay too.

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    don't buy FRAM. they are the shoddiest filter on the market.
    dR
    Why do you say that? My family has been using Fram for 30 years or so (me, my dad, my brother(s), etc). Never had an issue with them. Plus they're made by Allied Signal.... they make tons of car stuff. And my dad used to work for their ASW division.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have also been using FRAM for a long of time on all of my cars and never had a problem. And on the I-club, they slam FRAM a lot too. I have to go search different stores for anything else but FRAM. It is convienient to buy FRAM oil filters. I don't have all the time in the world to drive across town looking for other Oil Filters. It's just a personal preference to what someone likes to use anyways.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 02-02-2003 at 10:27 PM.

we recieve alll sorts of product review and testing at the store. when we have to decide whihc products to stock, we use that first and foremost along with jobber pricing and deals from the warehouse.

the basic things for an oil filter is type of cardboard or filtering material; consistency and number of ridges; lower seal type, quality, size and position; and the fitment of the actual filter inside the metal can.

FRAM has the highest particle pass thorugh rates, and has the lowest quality cardboard. the ridges look hand folded, the seal is plastic not rubber, and it fits very loosely in the canister.

at 3000 miles, a FRAM is shot. a wix, purolator, Protec are all dirty, but still hold water and didn't begin lesser filtering 1K miles ago.

Allied Signal is a good company, but they bought FRAM as a capital expansion years ago. their core was making lenses, bulbs and flashers.

It's just a personal preference to what someone likes to use anyways
    yeah, that's really the long and short of it.

dR
    Last edited by dark_rex; 05-07-2002 at 08:38 AM.

oem oil filter?

Hi,

how does the oem filter stack up against the purolator, wix, etc? it's kind of a bother getting to a subie dealership (at least more so than getting to my local autozone or t.a.), so if there isn't any diff, I would just as soon go with a purolater.

Thanks

the OEM is a purolator. Try to get the Pure One from Purolator they are one of the best.

i wouldn'yt by the filters from the dealer though, they charge a nice little premium.

FILTER NUMBERS

Purolator

PART TYPE PART #
    PureONE PL14460
    Oil Filter L14460
    Air Filter A24278
    Fuel Filter F54668

Wix
    PART TYPE PART #
    Air Filter 46116
    Fuel Filter 33558
    Oil Filter 51334

I've been using the Bosch filter. Nobody around my area carries the puralator for the WRX and it was discontinued at Pep Boys.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

I ordered 10 purolator pure one oil filters from pep boys at $5/filter

I Support ClubWRX
    darkrex,
    Thanks for the P/N#'s and adding those to this list.
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Anyone know where I could buy a bunch of oil filters in bulk. Like 20 at time for cheaper than one per purchase?

Sorry for the double post Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn enter button switch sticks.

try ordering them through the company's website. i know most manufacturerrs are drop shipping. if not the manufacturer, i would try to call a refional or local distributor. a large national distributor with regional presence is MAWDI. giv e them a shot, i'm not sure where their western regional centers are though.

dR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.