WRX Oil Filter Part #'s - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on WRX Oil Filter Part #'s within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by tarbaj I actually came up with the HP-1004 K&N number by cross referencing the Fram Filter! Yes, ...

r u sure about dat?

Originally posted by tarbaj
    I actually came up with the HP-1004 K&N number by cross referencing the Fram Filter!
    Yes, I and now my Autozone buddy are aware of this. K&N's HP-1004 and HP-1008 are similar, but the 1004 is actually a bit taller. Both of these filters will work, but the 1004's additional height, it gets too close to hot engine parts, potentially causing a failure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: r u sure about dat?

Originally posted by fsidesmith
    Yes, I and now my Autozone buddy are aware of this. K&N's HP-1004 and HP-1008 are similar, but the 1004 is actually a bit taller. Both of these filters will work, but the 1004's additional height, it gets too close to hot engine parts, potentially causing a failure.
    Thinking of the location how much different is the height? I don't see how height is getting it closer to the header pipe that comes across the front? I'll have to look into this. Unfortunately I have to special ordr K&Ns noone keeps them on the shelf around here so I can't go put them side by side.

K&N heights

tarbaj -
    I didn't have my tape measure with me at the time, but I would say that the K&N HP-1004 is about 3/4" taller than the HP-1008 (they are the same diameter). Is this additional 3/4" gap between the filter and the downpipe important? I dunno, but when I've been warned that it may be too close, I'll go with K&N's suggestion to use the HP-1008.

And to robertin who asks why go with any oil filter that isn't OEM? For the same reason that other rexers go with Cobb forced-induction upgrades, or Eibach suspension upgrades, or Denso plugs, or Ingen air systems, or any other after-market part producer - additional power/performance beyond the standard offerings of the stock car.

Of course, I followed the philosophy of OEM-only parts (at least on the powertrain ) while my WRX was under 36K miles; so as not to void the warranty. But now, I want the additional quality and performance of after-market producers that focus their technological efforts improving on specfic parts; like K&N with filters.

i just changed my oil at the dealership i work at yesterday. the guy there gave me a NAPA oil filter wich he said would fit. it fit but it was a little longer than the oem one that was on there. any thoughts on this? the oem lookin one was short and black with white lettering in english and japanese.
    "Drift cant beat grip"- Nakazato

I would recommend going with the OEM oil filter, but if you don't mind spending a little more $, kick down for a K&N HP-1008 or a Pulolator PL14612. I don't really notice a difference in day-to-day driving with these filters, but when the oil gets changed you can see where that extra $ went: relatively clean, non-gunky oil; which means you're treating your engine well. Plus I happen to be a big advocate of "you get what you pay for".

Just as a rule of thumb, take advice from others with a grain of salt when it comes to YOUR car. Who am I? I'm just some nobody on the internet. Don't take my advice, rather take the information I spew(or anyone else's for that matter), and bring it to someone you trust with your rex.

Originally posted by fsidesmith
    I don't really notice a difference in day-to-day driving with these filters, but when the oil gets changed you can see where that extra $ went: relatively clean, non-gunky oil; which means you're treating your engine well. Plus I happen to be a big advocate of "you get what you pay for".

Just as a rule of thumb, take advice from others with a grain of salt when it comes to YOUR car. Who am I? I'm just some nobody on the internet. Don't take my advice, rather take the information I spew(or anyone else's for that matter), and bring it to someone you trust with your rex.
    Never heard of anyone "feeling a difference" b/c of an oil filter.

just do some research, and look at oil analysis results. they speak for themselves.

I personally trust Wix. Purolator is good too (which is also Subaru OE)

dR

QFT
    Sorry to dredge up the past, but are the filter numbers listed on the first page applicable to the 06 WRX?

PureONE PL14460
    Purolator Oil Filter L14460
    OEM - 15208AA060 - Made by Purolator
    K&N - HP-1004
    Amsoil - SDF-20
    Mobil 1- M1-104
    Trak Auto M4460
    Wix 51334

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.