WRX Oil Filter Part #'s - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Oil Filter Part #'s within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Fact, not friction...sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, an independent shopper (some old cat shopping for an oil filter at Pep Boys) ...

PEP Boys brand same as Purolator filter

Fact, not friction...sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, an independent shopper (some old cat shopping for an oil filter at Pep Boys) showed me that the store brand filter was the exact same one as the Purolator Pure One filter. Check the markings. The only difference on mine was the color of the o-ring seal.

The savings was close to 50%.

I still buy the Pure One. Just habit. $5.00 filter versus how much for a new motor? Sometimes saving pennies can cost you dollars.

Yes, I'm also an old dude.

Peace,

Curtis

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This site seems available on an unpredictable basis but it is a filter study done by an engineer where he cut the filters open and examines the build quality and other parameters. His opinion from his studies are that Fram filters are very poor in quality and construction. The site is http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...terstudy.html. Purolator got pretty good reviews from him for their filters and I think that he found that the PepBoys brand is the same as their regular filter not the PureOne.

As long as we are on the topic of filters, have any of you auto trans owners bought a replacement ATF filter from Subaru? I went in to my dealer and decided to pick one up for when I change my fluid. The filter looks just like a smaller version of the oil filter. And the price...more than $35 . Has this stupid filter got platinum material in it or something? Why so expensive? Now spending $9 on a better oil filter sounds almost reasonable.

Dale

I personally use Purolators on my WRX. They have been tested to hold their own very well. Pure one is even better.

Just to add a few more good oil filters,

OEM - 15208AA060 - Made by Purolator
    K&N - HP-1004
    Amsoil - SDF-20
    Mobil 1- M1-104

Ill be using either the pure one or mobile 1 filters. i will also be using a magnetic heat sink for the filter which dissipates heat and attracts metal fragments.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Need4Boost: Are you sure of those numbers? I really like K&N and Mobil1 filters but I haven't been able to find confirmation from the companies that any of their existing filters fit. I even compared the K&Ns to the Purolator 14460 in the store and the filter rubber seal diameter didn't look exactly the same. If the part numbers are correct for the WRX that would be great I have been looking for this information for a long time (Well, a few months anyway).

Nexus6: do those magnetic heat-sinks work? I have seen them advertised but was skeptical as to their effectiveness.

Dale
    87 MR2
    02 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Nexus6,
    Is the magnetic heat sheild basically a magnet placed on the outside of the oil filter? I have seen that done in muscle cars. Cool idea.
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Are all Fram oil filters made poorly? They have the regular, extra guard, double guard, and X2 lines. My local pep boys carries all the Frams, but only the regular Purolator; they don't carry in the Pureone in my size.
    Thanks,
    Ali

Originally posted by iceNine
    Need4Boost: Are you sure of those numbers? I really like K&N and Mobil1 filters but I haven't been able to find confirmation from the companies that any of their existing filters fit. I even compared the K&Ns to the Purolator 14460 in the store and the filter rubber seal diameter didn't look exactly the same. If the part numbers are correct for the WRX that would be great I have been looking for this information for a long time (Well, a few months anyway).

Dale
    87 MR2
    02 WRX
    I found that info from searching on i-club. Many people have said those are the correct numbers. If you want to do a search on it, you will find the exact numbers i did.

Some of those oil filters i listed is specfically made for the WRX; ie Fram is pretty much a general one (3593a - which hondas also use). Purolators filters are made specific on certain cars like the WRX.

the filter for the wrx is not specific to anything. it's the same standard filter on the honda civic.

dR

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    is $5 a filter a good deal? i'll probly go buy a bunch then if thats what they're running
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I bought a Purolator and a Fram tough guard. Here's what's printed on the side in terms of performance.

Purolator: 96% multi-pass efficiency (Pure One also has the same number so I don't know why they cost more)

Fram Tough Guard: 98% single-pass efficiency and 99% multi-pass efficiency.

The Fram was 5.99 and the Purolator was 3.49.

In term of size, the Fram is taller and narrower.
    Thanks,
    Ali

Word of warning about the Mobil1 filter M1-104...

It won't quite fit as well as the OEM filter does, because of slightly recessed threads which prevent you from fully tightening it onto the oil pan. Which is too bad since the Mobil1 is rated pretty highly.
    Ad astra per aspera

In the oil filter study that I quoted before (http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html) the Pure One had the greatest density/area of filter material to the point that he questioned whether it could more easily become clogged. The Purolators had much better cases and drainback mechanisms than any of the Frams which were all judged to be unacceptable due to poor materials and design.

Dale

Originally posted by iceNine
    In the oil filter study that I quoted before (http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html) the Pure One had the greatest density/area of filter material to the point that he questioned whether it could more easily become clogged. The Purolators had much better cases and drainback mechanisms than any of the Frams which were all judged to be unacceptable due to poor materials and design.

Dale
    Not all Frams were judged to be unacceptable. The Fram Tough Guard is one of the recommended filters. The ones he didn't like were the Extra Guard and the super expensive Double Guard.
    Thanks,
    Ali

I Support ClubWRX
    VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

I just changed my oil today and noticed that the FRAM oil fliter I used lost its rubber gasket when I took it out. I looked from underneath the car and saw that it had stuck itself to the upper flange of were it seals. Make sure that when your oil filter comes out that the rubber mating gasket is still installed on your oil fliter. Or you will have a BIG oil leak problem. And yes, I changed from FRAM to PUROLATER. I will never use FRAM oil fliters again. Thanks for the info in other posts.
    Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast