should I terminate my extended warrantee?

This is a discussion on should I terminate my extended warrantee? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, here's the deal. I bought an extended 10 Year / 100,000 mile warrantee for about 00 for my 2004 ...

Question should I terminate my extended warrantee?

OK, here's the deal. I bought an extended 10 Year / 100,000 mile warrantee for about $1000 for my 2004 wrx wagon. I have the option of terminating it early and getting the prorated cash back (for more mods, of course... I'm thinking cusco rear swaybar, solid endlinks, exedy clutch, and flywheel). I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep the warrantee, or if it's pointless because they're most likely to refuse a claim based on my mods. I'm looking for some opinions. Thanks!

Here are my mods:

Cobb AccessECU Stage II
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    Samco Radiator Hoses
    Samco MAF tube
    Lineage Grounding Kit
    STi short-throw shifter
    Prodrive shift knob
    PDE Flex Uppipe
    PDE Downpipe
    Prodrive Axle-Back
    17x7 Prodrive P1 Anthracite wheels
    225/45/17 Yokohama ES-100 tires
    STi fog light covers
    WRX sedan painted sideskirts
    DIY Headlight Mod (removed orange and painted housing black)
    full metal tint 50% front / 20% rear / 20% windshield strip

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got the same warranty.... I just ordered my up/dp..... 1,000 dollars would be nice to have back. I haven't read it but if they void you warranty do they give that money back?

The company I got it through charges a $50 cancellation fee and prorates the rest based on mileage or time (whichever is greater). And you can cancel the warrantee whever you want. I don't think they can "void" the warrantee, rather they can refuse an individual claim. But after being refused a claim, you would probably opt to cancel. For example,

If you cancel a $1000 warrantee after 1 year for a 10 year/100,000 mile warrantee with 9,000 miles, you get back $1000 - $100 - $50 = $850.

If you cancel a $1000 warrantee after 1 year for a 10 year/100,000 mile warrantee with 20,000 miles, you get back $1000 - $200 - $50 = $750.

I cancelled mine, only to find out that Im getting money back AFTER i pay off the car.
    -1986 RX-7 GXL
    -2002 Blue WRX Wagon (given up)
    -2001 Prelude, (sold)
    -1989 Accord, (sold)
    -1984 Dodge RamCharger (Sold)

hmm... well I don't plan on anything happening to the car. And plan on doing all regular maintenance myself, but if I did/do take it in for maint. I'll just take it to a 'friendly' dealership. I guess I'll just leave it alone

Is it a Subaru specific EW, or can you use it in a wide variety of shops? If the latter is the case, i'm sure you can find a mod-friendly shop.

I have an EW on my car (not a WRX ) that you can use at hundreds of diff. shops, and the shop of the stealership that I bought my car from wouldn't cover one claim, but another shop that I took it to gladly covered it.