Fan noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fan noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here's a weird question, and definitely not a critical one either... When I got my car a year ago, the ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Fan noise

Here's a weird question, and definitely not a critical one either...

When I got my car a year ago, the fan was pretty quiet on the 1 setting...of course it got louder, but it just sounded like a fan. Now, even on 1, I hear not just the fan, but also a faint whistling sound. It's not a big deal, but it does tend to annoy me when I'm trying to listen to just my engine and exhaust (yes, I'm weird like that). Any idea where the whistling sound is coming from? Is it natural, or maybe the fan is getting caught on something?
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fan Motor Noise

I began to hear the same noise you described coming from my fan motor. It was noticeable on the 1 or 2 setting, but it was drowned out by the sound of the airflow at the 3 or 4 fan speed settings.

I had a similar problem on a 1994 Honda Accord. In that case the dealer diagnosis was faulty bearings in the fan motor assembly. They replaced the motor, and that solved the problem once and for all.

I explained my concerns to my Subaru dealer. They compared my car (20k miles) to a new WRX on their lot, and then they actually anknowledged hearing the difference. No denial from the dealer -- amazing! Then they replaced the motor assembly in my WRX -- and so far that solved the noise problem!

So if this bothers you then you should ask your dealer to replace the fan motor assembly.

Good luck, and please let me know if this helps. You are not too picky - any more than I am. The fan motor in a new car should not emit a high pitched whining noise PERIOD.
    Stu

2002 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info! If it gets to a point when I can't stand it, I'll be sure to bring it in
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I began to hear the same noise you described coming from my fan motor. It was noticeable on the 1 or 2 setting, but it was drowned out by the sound of the airflow at the 3 or 4 fan speed settings.

same exact thing here!

i took it in for some minor issues, and that was one of them. the said they replaced the fan motor, but i still have the sound. i think something else is loose, or getting shaken till it's loose.

dR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.