Getting screwed by body shop and insurance company

This is a discussion on Getting screwed by body shop and insurance company within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just need to vent. Let me first show you a timeline of events. September 2002 - Accident, Goes to ...

Getting screwed by body shop and insurance company

I just need to vent. Let me first show you a timeline of events.

September 2002 - Accident, Goes to Fairfax AutoBody

December 2002 - Get Car back, paint job looks good, painted Entire Driver side of car, front and rear bumper, and trunk.

December 2002 - Someone backs their truck into my rear quarterpannel

January 2003- Car goes to Fairfax Autobody, Painted rear quarter panel again, and Painted passenger rear door because of scratches they forgot to fix from the first accident. From what I can remember paint looked ok.

March 2003 - Leak in trunk, take it back they try to fix it and end up repainting rear quarter pannel again.

I then notice clear coat runs from them re-painting the quarter pannel after trying to fix the leak. But don't want to go back right away because its such a hassle.

September 2003, Right driver door develps a 1" bubble in the paint and also notice small little bubbles at top of door. So I figure now I will take it back and get everything fixed. From my quick inspection at dusk everything look alright, but their really wasn't much light.

October 2003, detailing car, I notice the small bubbles on the driver side still exist, and I also notice other errors in the driver side door, and the paint finish has a bad texture. I also notice the rear driver side door looks like it got sprayed with blend or something and has rough spots. I then noticed the clear coat runs still exist, although not as many. I also later see the car in the sun light and see my rear passenger side door is a different shade of blue then the front passenger door (maybe it faded or wasn't blended right). And one last thing, I notice the same small bubbles from the drivers door, on the rear right quarter pannel.

So today I take it to the shop and they don't give me a rental car, even though every other time they have. I call my insurance company and they side with the shop, saying the paint job met industry standards and I took a long time to find problems with the paint. I said, if thats industry standards those are some low standards, and it takes more then a 5 min glance at the car in the dark to find problems, it needs to be washed and looked at in the right light and all that.

So basiclly the car is getting re-painted, its going to probably be a half ass, **** this guy paint job, and I have to pay for the rental car. I am just gonna have to pay some good paint shop to paint the car the right way, all because body shops and insurance companies could care less about their customers and their cars. screw them all!

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Last edited by tan; 10-14-2003 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks Tan. Wonder how much it would cost to get a very high show quality paint job on about 75% of the sides of the car. I know someone who works at another body shop, and he said he could get me in as a side job for about 500 bucks, which is really cheap.

My Mods

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would get the whole car repainted if you really want it to look good. Does the body shop not have a warranty on their work? They should pay the cost to have it repainted at another shop IMO. Raise hell and maybe you can get it fixed right..

perfect opportunity for gun metal grey wrx
    lambosv21

Yeah, I have a lifetime warranty on paint there, but they can never seem to do a good job, thats the problem. I was thinking about getting it painted a completely different color. But I would probably go white if I did, yeah yeah, its not different, but I like white. But I don't think I have the money to get the whole car painted a different color, let alone a really good paint job a whole different color.
    Last edited by KanosWRX; 10-14-2003 at 10:57 AM.

My Mods

Well just talked to the body shop, apparently the car will be done tomorrow. Somehow I don't think all my problems could be fixed perfectly that fast, oh well time to look into other paint shops.

My Mods

Kanos. In regards to your insurance company. If they recommended the shop, it should all be warranted by them and should provide you with rental car and everything else. Also, if that is the case (recommended by ins. co), you may want to contact your Dept of Insurance and complain. Insurance companies don't like hearing from them. Trust me .

Thanks for the tip, I might just do that. And yeah this place was on their list of places to go, the body shop gets lots of people from my insurance company. They do have the lifetime warranty on paint, just happens to be they do horrible paint jobs all the time. But I might bring it up with the dept of insurance.

My Mods

tan
    go to european body works in fairfax.. right down the street, if im not mistaken.. i went to fairfax autobody, and they had my car for about 2 months, and did not fix everything... it should have taken a real shop about 3 weeks tops... take your car to crazy chris at european body works... he's the best in the area....tell him bill sent you....