break in time
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on break in time within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a new 04 wrx and i have ansked many people how long to wait until i actually ...

break in time

I just got a new 04 wrx and i have ansked many people how long to wait until i actually drive it to its potential . So how many miles do i need to go thruigh before the engine is broken in?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

theres a lot of controversy out there about this. some say that it takes a few thousand miles before its broken in, and one guy that has a site actually recommends to run the engine to its limit right off the manufactoring line...but he seems to be alone in that theory. if someone knows the link to what im talking about, please post it for reference, but i dont remember where i saw it at. common thought goes that the engine is decently broken in at 1000 miles, so you can push it after that. if your really anal about things, you can still semi nice to it for the most part until you do your first oil change, but im sure that opening it up a lil bit after 1,000 is totally safe for the engine. once that first batch of oil is out there, your good to go though .

congrats on your new subie, btw. and welcome to the club
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

i did the 1,000 mile break in on my new 04. it runs smoothly too. it is hard to keep it under 4K rpm. i only got above 4 like 2times. so just be patient its worth the wait.

http://photos.yahoo.com/cmacrazgrl <--pics of my 04
    04 WRB WRX Sedan 5 speed
    April 04 WRBlue Pearl MT <--"Stitch"
    Mods: Premium Package,STI short shifter and titanuim knob,Momo Airleather shift knob,Rota Formels 17's,AP Stage 2,Coolsafe Thermostat, Apexi Intake, RallyArmor mudflaps, Bosal Cat-back exhaust, Crucial Racing Down-pipe, gold painted calipers,daddy's group buy 3 52mm gagues, center pod, delphi xm radio, JVC CD reciever

personally, i did both. a little of this and a little of that. drove it hard, and grannyied (sp?) it. no problems to this day and i have 18 k on the car. just make sure that you keep up with the oil change. very crucial !!!
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

link:

I think this --> break it in! <-- may be the link you're looking for.
    I'm sure it's (this topic) been beaten to death, but i'm curious what you guys think of this quick-break-in method?
    Last edited by wrx666; 10-10-2003 at 06:47 AM.
    -JVS
    `03 WRX stock
    666 is just a number... sheesh!

There's a lot to be said for keeping your mouth shut.

Hi all. I've been lurking here a bit. I picked up my Silver '04 wagon about a month ago.

I was told by the dealership that it was important to let the engine warm up, minimum 30 seconds or so. They said it lets the fluids get a chance to circulate before being worked. Is there any truth to that? They also mentioned at the end of the drive, to let the engine idle for the same amount of time.

I've been pretty much doing it by the book, I have over 600 miles on mine and I haven't gone over 4000 rpm (I know, someone smack me). I do get on the throttle pretty hard at times like freeway on-ramps (up to 4000 rpm).

I am thinking of breaking the 4000 rpm barrier constantly. What would you guys consider to be "reasonable driving?" How far over 4k should one go, and how often?

I had an FZR600 and I dont remember ever babying that engine. I do remember not redlining it until after the break-in period. That engine ran strong and never gave me problems.

I don't know why I don't just do the same with my WRX. I'm just too anal, I guess. It's my first new car.

Sorry for the semi thread hijack.
    Last edited by burgerboy; 10-09-2003 at 04:49 PM.

" I was told by the dealership that it was important to let the engine warm up, minimum 30 seconds or so. They said it lets the fluids get a chance to circulate before being worked. "

that is true with ANY engine !!! you need the fluids to circulate before adding any throttle to the engine. that is just common sense. metal + metal ( no lube ) = neg engine life......PERIOD !
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

stick with time honored and respected 1000 miles...then have fun, a bit at a time.....thats how i did it..........17500 miles and getting better all the time
    DML

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.