2004 WRX oil change questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX oil change questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; thanks for all the dispensed advice in the archives. just a few questions that i couldn't find answers to... 1) ...

2004 WRX oil change questions

thanks for all the dispensed advice in the archives. just a few questions that i couldn't find answers to...

1) 1K oil change-- i've had the car for 500 miles now, and decided to go with the 1K change. do i need to change the filter as well?

2) oil filter part no-- i read that for MY04, the filter is different; shorter length so it doesn't heat too much. is this filter only available through the dealer? is the same filter sold as a purolator or pep boys filter? if so, what is the part no?

3) fumoto oil valve-- is it the same part for MY04 (F105)? did y'all use the fumoto washer or a metal washer (or both)?

4) under cover-- anybody have pics of how to take the cover off for MY04? the manual isn't any help at all...

btw, i love the car. in the past, i've had a 94 integra GS-R and a 97 prelude. subaru AWD and WRX turbo has quickly abolished all memory of FWD and VTEC. plus changing the oil on an integra was such a PITA; they tucked the filter way up in there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't EVER chnage your oil without changing the filter. Why would you put clean oil in an old filter?

The proper oil filter to use is the "080" filter.

And BTW, If you can't figure out how to take the cover off (5 10mm screws and a couple of push pins), you really have no business fooling around with your engine.

If the splash guard on the 04 is the same as the 03, which it probably is, then you don't even need to take it off for an oil change. I think the STI has a different splash guard though.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

nope it's not the same

you have to take the 04 splash gaurd off.

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    If the splash guard on the 04 is the same as the 03, which it probably is, then you don't even need to take it off for an oil change. I think the STI has a different splash guard though.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

Originally posted by kit99bar
    nope it's not the same

you have to take the 04 splash gaurd off.

Doh that sucks

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

i picked up the filter (the new, shorter one) yesterday. $9.60 for filter and washer. so, i'm still hoping somebody will know what the equivalent puralator (or pep boys) product number is before the next oil change.

yeah, i knew the splash guard has to come off the MY04 WRX. i was just hoping someone could point me to the location of all the screws.

two 12mm bolts at the forward portion of the jacking plate... three 12mm bolts across the center of the splash guard. 4 pop-rivets across the splash guard. Also, note that there are two "arms" that will hold the splash guard up even with the screws and pop-rivets out. Make sure when you put the splash guard back, that these arms are in the right place (conveniently there are two holes so you can see them).

Also, although you can use a phillips head to get the bolts out, I find it easier to use a small ratchet with an extension and a 12mm to tighten the bolts well (and loosen them initially).

Wooo! $9.60? Your dealer is expensive!

I paid under $8 for the filter and washer last time I did an oil change. The washer lists for $1.05 and the filter is like $6.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

yeah-- that's why i'm hoping someone will know the equivalent purolator or pep boys filter.

i'd hate to pay this much every time...

i'd be looking at $30 oil changes once i switch to synthetic...

i emailed purolator directly, and got a reply. here's their response:

"The Subaru WRX for 2004 has two different engines. The 2004 WRX with the 2.0L engine is using the Subaru 15208AA060 original equipment filter. The Purolator equivalent of that filter is the L14460. The 2004 Subaru WRX with the 2.5L engine is using the Subaru 15208AA080 original equipment oil filter. The Purolator equivalent of that filter is the L14612."

not correct. Subaru has made a statement saying that all wrx models 2002+ (including STi) should now use the ...080 filter.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=434057

Quote Originally Posted by Wagon Joe
    two 12mm bolts at the forward portion of the jacking plate... three 12mm bolts across the center of the splash guard. 4 pop-rivets across the splash guard. Also, note that there are two "arms" that will hold the splash guard up even with the screws and pop-rivets out. Make sure when you put the splash guard back, that these arms are in the right place (conveniently there are two holes so you can see them).

Also, although you can use a phillips head to get the bolts out, I find it easier to use a small ratchet with an extension and a 12mm to tighten the bolts well (and loosen them initially).
    I couldn't loosen the bolts with a phillips, but was easily able to get them off with a ratchet without needing an extension.

I found the easiest way to remove the pop-rivets was to use a screwdriver to first pry between the rivet and it's washer to lower the rivet a bit, then pry above the washer to pop the rivet out completely. To put the pop-rivets back in when reattaching the splash guard, separate the pop-rivets, push in the outside piece, then push in the inner screw. Pop-rivets seem like something ok to insert, but not made for easy removal. Should kiel the enginerd who invented them.
    Last edited by WTypeRogerX; 02-13-2005 at 01:10 AM.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

Exclamation

always fill your oil filter with oil before you install it.that keeps your turbo from running without oil in it for a few seconds when u start it up initially and preventing pre mature wear.

SMR
    Not to bring a thread back from the dead, but the # on the filter is now 15208AA100, as the 080 series has been superceded.
    Wow, just wow

Quote Originally Posted by djrez4
    Wooo! $9.60? Your dealer is expensive!

I paid under $8 for the filter and washer last time I did an oil change. The washer lists for $1.05 and the filter is like $6.
    You just paid somewhere around $25,000 for a car and you're starting to quibble about a couple of bucks on the filter price? This sort of penny-pinching will kill your car before you've paid for it! Research the best oil and filter choices (I won't dictate, you decide) and get the best you can possibly afford. About the only good advice that Click & Clack ever gave is: cheapskates always pay more in the end!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast