Strange noise
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Strange noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ever since I got my car back from the shop(ran into a ditch & tore the boot off of the ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Red face Strange noise

Ever since I got my car back from the shop(ran into a ditch & tore the boot off of the left front CV joint) it makes this subtle humming noise at about 60+mph. You can only hear it over road noise on smooth pavement, but it's still annoying and concerns me. I kind of sounds like it's pulsating and coming from the front of the car.. can't hear it with the window down. I would be worried about my CV joint but I only drove about 15' with the boot off. The mechanic that fixed it is supposed to be pretty good and he said nothing was bent. I haven't had the car aligned since then; I probably should but it drives perfectly straight.

Anybody have an idea what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I know exactly the noise you are talking about. At 60mph->61mph I get this resonant noise in 5th gear. It's done it since....well....5 miles on the odometer. I'm now at almost 17,000 miles. I think it's normal since it's just a combination of wind/wheel rotation/engine/vibration etc causing the noise at that specific speed. I'd not worry about it. I don't. I was curious as to what it is though. You only hear it if you're on asphalt and its quiet. You can't hear it at all with music on etc etc..
    2010 SSM STI

Alright.. it wouldn't bother me so much if it had always made the noise, but after 30,000 miles I had gotten used to the car riding so quiet. It used to be one of the quietest driving cars I have ever rode in, now it hums while it works

I'm not sure that this noise is normal, since it just started not too long ago. Plus there is a strange smell that has appeared with it.. it kinda smells like a cross between hot header wrap and burnt clutch.

I made a sound clip of the noise the other day. I was driving at about 70mph, then I put the car in neutral and let it coast down to about 55..

It seems like the noise is coming from the front left, but I can't be sure.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 08-14-2008 at 11:46 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Around the 15 second mark on that MP3, I hear that whine. I have the same thing. I believe depending on how sensitive your hearing is, you'll notice it or you won't. My wife drives my car and she has never mentioned it, but I notice it every time I hit 60mph.
    2010 SSM STI

I know it's kind of hard to hear on there, but that is because it never stops. The sound is occuring the entire time, it just gets louder at some points. Before the noise started all you would hear is the wind, this new noise is louder than the air noise. There are two distinct sounds in the mp3, one is the wind, and the other is this new pulsating noise. The pulses get slower and slower untill about 10mph, then it's hard to hear. I think it's gradually getting louder too, really sounds like something is rubbing. The burning smell I get every time I stop seems to support this idea.

If I hadn't driven the car for 30k miles without the noise I probably wouldn't notice it because every car makes it's own sound, but this is definately something new.

Before I said I couldn't hear it with the radio on, but now I can distinctly hear the noise with the factory 6 disk in dash radio turned up as loud as 12-14.

The whine you're talking about at 15 seconds may have always been there and is now more noticeable because of the new noise. From five to twelve seconds you can hear the pulses getting slower. I might go out and make another clip decelerating from 70 to 0 so you can hear how the pulses get slower as the car slows down. I can't help but think something is getting worn and if I don't figure out what the problem is soon enugh it may get much worse. It's just too hard for me to diagnose at this point.. I never was that interested in cars untill I got this one.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it bothers you that much, which it quite clearly does, take it to the dealer and tell them. If it's really as bad as you say, they'll sort it out. It might be a lot worse than what I think it is. Try taking it to the dealership. No harm in trying, especially before your warranty runs out.
    2010 SSM STI

When does the warranty on stuff like that run out? I kinda wanna take it in and have them fix my front driver's side window cause it rolls up too far. The only thing is, I have to have lots of reason to take my car to the dealership since it takes me ~4 hours to get there, then I've got to sit around for the 6+ hours while they do their thing. I have to get up at about 4:00am if I'm even going to get it there in time for them to do anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since it doesn't sound drivetrain related, your warranty on that expires after 3 years/36,000 miles. If it's drivetrain, you have 5 years/60,000 miles. I'd take it in sooner rather than later though.
    2010 SSM STI

Eek.. by the time I get it to the dealership it will be over 36k, I'm at 35k now

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd call the dealership first chance you get, and let them know...

Good luck..
    2010 SSM STI

Okay.. the noise was, as I thought, my CV joint wearing out. I took everything apart to install my springs today and you can clearly see all of the grease that belongs inside the boot is slung all over the strut, hub, and everything else down there. Along with that the boot for the ball joint is also torn.

The noise isn't near as loud as it was about 10,000 miles ago, so I figure whatever was wearing making that noise is worn down pretty good by now.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 08-30-2008 at 08:12 PM.

another view
    Last edited by MainFrame; 08-30-2008 at 08:12 PM.

& another
    Last edited by MainFrame; 08-30-2008 at 08:15 PM.

I've had quite a few CV joints go bad on me, and that looks like the smallest leak I've seen from a torn boot. I mean, that's almost nothing compared to how much grease and crud would be there from a good and torn boot. Also, if it makes a clicking when making a slow turn, wheel all the way cranked one direction, then the CV joint is bad. I'd bet that that little tiny bit of grease is from the 15 feet you drove it before it was replaced. Also, is your wheel's balancing weight still on it from the accident? The pulses on the recording sound like that could be it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.