Strange noise - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Strange noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Almost nothing?? The entire spring and strut were covered in at least 1/4" of grease, and so was the wheel ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Almost nothing?? The entire spring and strut were covered in at least 1/4" of grease, and so was the wheel well all the way to the top and everything else in the surrounding area. Truthfully I can't see how there could be any grease left inside the boot..

The weights were still on after the accident and I've had them balanced probably three times since then, keep in mind this was 15,000-20,000 miles ago. The noise got louder and louder for a good 6,000 miles, then it slowly disapated over time.. now it's barely audible.

There's no clicking noise that I've noticed, so I guess the CV joint's alright for now. I found a place to get a new ball joint, so I'll replace that when I have time.

Do you think it would be a good idea to try and replace the grease that has flung out, and maybe get the boot seated on there a little better? I don't really know what this stuff looks like on the inside, or how I would go about adding grease, but it couldn't be too hard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you clean it up for those pics?? Maybe my eyes are just crapping out on me. It is possible to go long enough on a bad CV that the clicking noise eventually stops (also happened to me), but it takes a good long while. If there was as much grease as you said on the outside of the joint, then it's bad. Most auto people quote about 8 minutes of driving on a torn boot before the joint goes bad. Guess it's time to get an impact wrench, big huge socket, a hammer and a fork.

Some service manuals have instructionis for rebuilding the joint, I don't know if the Suby does. If not, you'll have to replace the halfshaft, which is what the above mentioned tools are for. Also, ask the dealership if the halfshafts are part of the drivetrain warranty. Some companies consider it part of it, since it gets the power to the ground.

Okay, maybe I was exagerating a bit, but it is pretty obvious that the grease has been leaking out over time, otherwise it wouldn't be all spread around like it is. I figured I would have to replace the halfshaft eventually...

I guess my only question now is, will it do any further damage to continue driving on it like this? I don't want it to tear up my tranny or differential, but if it's not going to spread I might as well not worry about it so much because it might be okay.. or it might not, I wish there was some way I could check..

From everything I've heard from all kinds of ASE certified people, if the grease is out of the joint, you should consider it bad. Did it ever make a clicking sound when making sharp turns? Is there a physical tear in the boot? You can buy new boots/clamps/grease, but that only works if the joint isn't bad. The amount of grease that came out of my CV joints was about 2/3 of what would be in a standard size grease tube, like the kind that would go in a grease gun. I mean, it's a lot of grease. If a clamp or something is just loose, and you're loosing a little grease periodically, and no clicking noises, than I'd think the joint is okay.

Not sure if it will damage tranny or diff. My GUESS would be if the joint is bad, it might be hard on the diff, cause it could be a little more of a load. But you can call the dealership and any shop and just ask "hypothetically" if it would hurt anything. Just let them know they're not going to get money out of it, and they should be pretty honest with you.
    Last edited by OffRoadWagon; 04-01-2004 at 10:06 AM.

I never noticed any clicking noise... I can't see any tears in the boot, so it's probably just a loose clamp. I'll take a look at it this weekend and probably add some grease. I turned the wheel by hand and it doesn't feel any different that the other side, so I'm hopeing everything's okay..

Sounds like it should be. And the pulsing noise? Is it still doing that? Don't know what a bad ball joint sounds like, never had it happen to me. Also, don't forget to ask if that stuff is covered under the drivetrain warranty.

No, it's not making the pulsing noise anymore.. it got pretty loud for about 5,000 miles, then slowly went away.

I guess I'll call the dealership, but it takes me so long to get there, and I have to get up so early I doubt I could take it in while school's still going on..

Mainframe,

A quick way to check the U.Joint is jack up both sides of the front and then take your jack with a block of wood and push up on each side (one at a time) on the middle of the shaft leading to the U.Joint to help immobilize it from moving the shaft, and then rotate the tire/wheel by hand and compare the play of each side.

If one side seems to have ALOT of difference then the U.Joint on the sloppy side could be bad.....There may be a bit more play on one side, But I think you will KNOW if it is in excess

SHotgun

I have the same sound, it blows ass. I'm gald someone is finally figuring out what it is.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

I had a similar sound at 60 mph. Turned out to be the passenger side rear wheel bearing. Dealer replaced it and noise is gone. Btw, I'd get another mechanic. He should have "dug in" a little more after your accident. Just my 2 cents worth!
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

How much to get new CV's other than the dealership prices?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.