Question about WRX oil filter I just bought at Subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about WRX oil filter I just bought at Subaru within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a Subaru oil filter from a local Sub dealer for my 04 WRX. He told me the ...

Question about WRX oil filter I just bought at Subaru

I just bought a Subaru oil filter from a local Sub dealer for my 04 WRX. He told me the one he gave me is the "newer" one the WRX is now using and it is shorter than the original. Says that the longer original one is to close and the oil gets to hot. Here is the Sub part number for the filter 15208AA080.
    Has anyone else heard of this, or did he just give me this one cause the original is out of stock and he is B.S ing me
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I went back to the same local dealer and questioned it. He took me in the back to the computer and put in my VIN number and clicked on Oil filter. SUre enough, he was right, the part number for the oil filter he sold me is right, which is 15208AA080 and not the origianl number 15208AA060. He insisted the reason is all WRX's from 02 to 04 have been changed to use the shorter one which I got. He then took me out to two mechanics in the bay and both told me the same thing, use the shorter one cause the longer one gets too hot near the exhaust pipe.
    I guess he knew what he was talking about. He even said, that he would not sell me something wrong, becuase they would be responsible if it was the wrong part and the engine failed.

I guess if you just buy the WIX filter you dont have to worry about it. Thiers are somewhat shorter as well as smaller in diameter.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

i would always buy a factory/ quality oil filter. I dont trust wix and other brands like that. i dont believe they have anti drain back valves.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

You know that the stock one is just a re-branded purolator right?
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

Jaytone thanks for the post... I just picked up one of these funky new filters today and I was wondering what the story was behind it...
    - Founding member of the STL 20G-Unit, Word.-

One last thing. I guess the guy knew what he was talking about. All the other dealers I called said that this Sub dealer was wrong and that the longer one (the 060) was right. I opted to believe the guy who showed me in the Sub computer that it calls for the shorter one, which ended in 080.
    When I went to change the oil today for the first time, I removed the oil filter and guess what, the factory put on the shorter one. So, I guess all the other Sub dealers dont know what they are talkng about. Keep in mind that my Sub was built in July, so apparently the shorter one is correct.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    i would always buy a factory/ quality oil filter. I dont trust wix and other brands like that. i dont believe they have anti drain back valves.
    FYI, WIX is actually an excellent brand.

This has been posted a million times, but it's worth a million and 1:

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Also I can't remember if the Subaru unit has a drain-back valve or not (anyone?) - I know that the Purolator PureOne (best on the market IMO) spec'd for the WRX does not have it but there is one for the same price spec'd for Hondas that is identical but has an anti-drain back valve. The part numbers are very close - like the last two digits are 59 for one, 60 for the other. I think 60 is Subaru, 59 is Honda. But I'd have to check.

The thing is the WRX has no use for an anti-drainback valve, so the after-market makers don't include one. The filter is mounted upside-down, so oil won't drain out unless you turn the car upside down. Not sure how relevant it is at that point though.......

I know for a fact that when you remove a filter without the drainback valve, it is completely full of oil so the valve is superfluous for our car when included.

C
    Last edited by GV27; 10-01-2003 at 01:45 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    The purolator for the WRX is 14460. I memorized it a while back so I wouldn't have to ask the service person. I get it at pepp boys.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.