changing to synthectic on new WRX, is 1200 miles to early ?

This is a discussion on changing to synthectic on new WRX, is 1200 miles to early ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just hit 1200 miles and have not yet changed the oil. I am going to use Amsoil since I ...

changing to synthectic on new WRX, is 1200 miles to early ?

I just hit 1200 miles and have not yet changed the oil. I am going to use Amsoil since I can get it locally
    Is 1200 miles to soon to start using synthetic, or should I do a oil change with regular oil and change to synthetic when I hit a higher mileage ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My dealer said to use dino oil until 10k miles, because it helps with the break-in of the engine. According to him, Mobil concurred. Why? I don't know, but I went with it.

Originally posted by WRX-DST
    My dealer said to use dino oil until 10k miles, because it helps with the break-in of the engine. According to him, Mobil concurred. Why? I don't know, but I went with it.
    Agreed. I recommend changing to synthetic at the 12k mile oil change.

I wrote an extensive diatribe on this subject a long time ago. Try searching for synthetic and break in.

-Jim

The Evo uses full synth from the factory.

No reason you can't do that with the Subie 2.0 and 2.5 turbocharged H4s.
    My FusionVic
    2000 Crown Victoria

Best ET: 15.389
    Best MPH: 89.482
    Best 60': 2.242

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car will be fine. Change it at 1200 and there will be no problems. I changed mine at 1250 miles to Mobil 1, and I have not had one problem. I now have 29K on my car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by metroplex
    The Evo uses full synth from the factory.

No reason you can't do that with the Subie 2.0 and 2.5 turbocharged H4s.
    YOU might not see a reason, but the Engineers that spent the time to DEVELOP and DESIGN the engine might know something you don't.

-C
    Stupid Engineer who wasted time in college.
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

Originally posted by TypeC
    YOU might not see a reason, but the Engineers that spent the time to DEVELOP and DESIGN the engine might know something you don't.

-C
    Stupid Engineer who wasted time in college.
    I'm an engineer and I can tell you that if your Suby H4s will run fine w/ M1 after 5k miles of break in then there's no reason you can't use it from the get go.

Remember that engineers don't have the final say inthe product. If you knew anything about how things worked before a car is released then you'd know accountants and engineers don't work well together.

Porsches and Corvettes come straight from the factory with Mobil 1. I dunno what oil Evo 8's use from the factory but its supposed to be FULL SYNTHETIC.

I waited 5k before I switched to M1 in my Ford 4.6L SOHC V8, but there's no reason why you couldn't use M1 from the get-go in a Suby H4.
    My FusionVic
    2000 Crown Victoria

Best ET: 15.389
    Best MPH: 89.482
    Best 60': 2.242