Need info on first oil change, want to use synthetic, I think
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need info on first oil change, want to use synthetic, I think within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I just got 1000 miles on my WRX and am getting ready to change the oil to maybe synthetic. ...

Need info on first oil change, want to use synthetic, I think

Hi
    I just got 1000 miles on my WRX and am getting ready to change the oil to maybe synthetic.

Questions:
    1. Is Amsoil a good brand, if not what brand
    2. What weight synthetic do I use.
    3. What brand oil filter do I use.
    4. Is it recommended to use Synthetic or should I stick with petro oil.
    5. How often should synthetic be changed

Thanks to all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, there is plenty of info if you do a search - maybe too much to wade through.

1. Amsoil is one of the best, some would say THE best. I use Mobil 1 just because it is a little cheaper and a LOT easier to obtain. Other great brands are Redline, Silkolene and Bel Ray. Castrol Syntec is pretty good as well and again cheap and easy to find.

2. Controversy - do a search. I use 5w-30 but am thinking of switching to 0w-40. The owner's manual is totally ambiguous.

3. Purolator. Avoid Fram.

4. Yes, it is recommended (by me anyway!!) to switch to synthetic. Again, a search will reveal reams of discussion.

5. Controversy again. Some say 7000, some 10k. I change mine every 2k - 3k but I'm anal about engine lubrication (and have motors with 200k on them that look new inside!).

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I use 10W-30 Mobil-1 Syn. No problems at all.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

I agree with GV27. Personally, I'm using M1 0W-40 with an AMSOil Oil filter. I'm running to 5,000 mile change intervals.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.