$20 floor jack

This is a discussion on floor jack within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Should I trust a 2-ton floor jack from Target? I couldn't pass up the deal. But now that I'm ...

Question $20 floor jack

Should I trust a $20 2-ton floor jack from Target? I couldn't pass up the deal. But now that I'm about to trust it with (potentially) my life, I have a slightly different perspective...
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It may fall apart depending on the brand ($20 sounds too cheap). Since you should always be using jackstands, there should be no safety concerns.

Getting under any car just using a floor jack and no stands is a death wish.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Originally posted by JRod
    It may fall apart depending on the brand ($20 sounds too cheap). Since you should always be using jackstands, there should be no safety concerns.

Getting under any car just using a floor jack and no stands is a death wish.
    Agreed. Put the money you saved into some good jackstands.

-Jim

yeah i have to agree. I got the cheep floor jack but the 60 dollar jack stands.
    alf

Heh, I got the decent jackstands before I bought my good jack. I just wish now though that I had purchased one of those nicer jacks the mechanic uses.. I'm a lazy SOB.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Official Lift Points

So here's a stupid question: where do I lift with the jack? When I've used it in the past (on other cars) I've lifted at one of the four lift points on the body, but the cup on the jack leaves four little dimples in the bodywork! Is there something I'm supposed to put between the jack and the car, or am I supposed to lift elswhere?

Now that I have the car in the air, where do I put the jack stands? The top of the stand is U shaped and looks ready to puncture metal, plus the jack is already occupying the official lift point!

Re: Official Lift Points

Originally posted by WRX-DST
    So here's a stupid question: where do I lift with the jack? When I've used it in the past (on other cars) I've lifted at one of the four lift points on the body, but the cup on the jack leaves four little dimples in the bodywork! Is there something I'm supposed to put between the jack and the car, or am I supposed to lift elswhere?

Now that I have the car in the air, where do I put the jack stands? The top of the stand is U shaped and looks ready to puncture metal, plus the jack is already occupying the official lift point!
    For lifting the front of the car with a floor jack, use the lift plate underneath the engine. It is smack between the front wheels; just stick your head under there and you'll see it, very obvious. Some folks like to use a piece of wood between the jack and the lift point. If you do this, use a solid piece of wood and preferably a hardwood! It's kind of distressing to hear things cracking apart while your car is off the ground!!

Once the front end is properly lifted, stick your jack stands under the side lift points, just behind the front wheels. Then SLOWLY lower the car until it rests steadily and evenly on the jack stands. If you position the jack stands properly the saddles shouldn't bend anything... much. And don't forget to chock the rear wheels, for maximum safety.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

Bad experience with $20 floor jack

Just a tale of caution. I used to use a $20 floor jack....until my fairly light-wieght 1st gen RX7 listed to the right and fell off the jack! Keep a close eye on things when lifting your car, especially at extended hieghts. I wouldn't even attempt to lift my WRX with a cheap jack.

I now look at $20 floor jacks in the same light as I do $10 helmets.

Be careful.

Curtis