Turbo cool down time - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo cool down time within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; sorry bud 8yrs ago i was 20 but i didnt know any thing about boost, then i test drove a ...

sorry bud 8yrs ago i was 20 but i didnt know any thing about boost, then i test drove a 02 and my life was changed 4evr

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Half the folks that currently post weren't old enough to drive when this thread died.
    I was 13
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm so old I cant even remember how old I was back then!
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

not to change the subject, but can i stop wasting my life away. i think proper turbo warm up time should be important. if not some one plz correct me. i just don't want to spool the turbo w/o any oil in the berings.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03silverwrx View Post
    i think proper turbo warm up time should be important. if not some one plz correct me.
    What does your manual say about warming up the car?

i just don't want to spool the turbo w/o any oil in the berings.
    I don't see how that would be possible if the motor is running. If so, this implies that the manual's wording is in there for other (valid) reasons.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What does your manual say about warming up the car?

I don't see how that would be possible if the motor is running. If so, this implies that the manual's wording is in there for other (valid) reasons.
    it was always my under standin that it took at least 30-60 sec. for the oil pump to get the oil to the berrings in the turbo

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    I was 13
    me too.

fail lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    not to change the subject, but can i stop wasting my life away. i think proper turbo warm up time should be important. if not some one plz correct me. i just don't want to spool the turbo w/o any oil in the berings.
    Okay............your oil pressure is highest when it's cold. The minute you start the car the turbo has oil and plenty of it. The problem is if you immediately drive the car hard before the oil is "warmed up" the oil pressure will be too high for the turbo and will force oil out of the seals.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    As soon as the engine is running, it has plenty of oil to keep it lubricated. You should be more worried about your engine when it's cold than your turbo.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I bought my 1st WRX 5 months after the original post..

I was just out of the army and 24 yrs old when this post died..

daaaayyum.. holy revive the dead batman

on topic, I let mine Idle down before I shut it off after running hard.. but for normal street driving I usually just roll up, park.. shut her down. Thats it. Water cooled turbo's are pretty stable on the cool down.

as for warm up.. I turn the key, let Idle for a second or two and off I go. Just dont hammer on it till its up to op temp.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Jeez, you guys act like subaru doesn't know what it's doing and is going to easily let everyone kill their turbos. Obviously they thought it out and you can stop worrying so much about them unless they were put in completely by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizzle View Post
    +1....and time

Let's say you drive your car at a minimum twice a day. If you followed the erroneously recommended 90 second cool off time, as previously mentioned, that would cost you 3minutes/day.....or 21 minutes/week......or 18 hours/year....or 52 days over a 70 year life span!!!! Stop wasting your life waiting for your subie's snail to "cool down"!!!!!
    totally unrelated to post but i got curious... but as a student i spend 70% of my life waiting for the weekend
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

I dunno, I'd let it cool...I didn't let mine a few times, and now the turbo has a noticeable whine that it didn't have before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylonpounder View Post
    I dunno, I'd let it cool...I didn't let mine a few times, and now the turbo has a noticeable whine that it didn't have before.
    The point was made 8 1/2 years ago to not worry about cooling your turbo unless you're driving hard and immediately stop and shut down your engine. Quit filling this thread with garbage, starting the process all over again. You most likely have other issues that are to blame for your turbo whinery.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast