Fluid changes and Warranty
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fluid changes and Warranty within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I know there's a million posts about what mod's will void a warranty. But I'm wondering what services ...

Fluid changes and Warranty

Hey all, I know there's a million posts about what mod's will void a warranty. But I'm wondering what services you can do yourself, such as the oil changes and fluid changes. What's the word on that. Do we need to go to the dealer? Can we do it ourselves? How do we prove we did it. Does anyone have it in writing (from Subaru) that changing our own oil will not void the warranty. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Certainly you can change your own oil, just keep all of your receipts so you have proof that the service was done.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Thumbs up

Exactly.

Originally posted by Flyboy
    Certainly you can change your own oil, just keep all of your receipts so you have proof that the service was done.

Originally posted by Flyboy
    So just proof that I'm buying at least 4.9 quarts of oil and a filter for every 7.5k miles I've gone (after the initial two changes at 3k and 7.5k) will do it? (although I plan on doing it every 3.5k or so)

I read up on Subaru's site, they seem to be pretty cool about it. Saying that as long as it is changed by a shop or individual who complies with the EPA or something like that, it's good enough. I just need to figure out what proof I'd need. I think a log of dates and mileage in addition to receipts would be good right (or 'better' than just receipts). I emailed them to go to the horses mouth on it. I'll let you all know what they say. =) Hopefully they'll concurr with you guys.

Thanks for the info.

I usually write the mileage on the receipt and tuck it in the side flap of my owner's manual. I also keep a log of the service on the mySubaru website.

http://my.subaru.com/formslogin.asp
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Yeah follow flyboys suggestion, keep a log with all the paper works
    and records the mileage when the services is done. Dealer will ask for
    such records.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Cool, thanks everybody.

From the horses mouth

Ok, so I know I'm replying to my own question. But I figured I'd post what Subaru had to say about warranties and maintainance.

"We do require that a Subaru dealer do warranty work, but you can do your own maintenance work, as long as you are sure you know what you are doing. Subaru of America, Inc. cannot give technical advice by email or phone. If you should perform your own maintenance work, please be sure to keep all receipts for materials and to properly log your maintenance in the back of your Warranty/Maintenance Booklet.

Subaru Technicians are thoroughly trained and would be able to spot an unmaintained vehicle. As long as you follow the maintenance schedule, or close to it, you should have no problem."

Second email....

"Just to add to her comments, please be aware that the genuine Subaru oil filters have a washer included that needs to be replaced each time you change the oil. So, you might want to purchase a few oil filters from your dealership, just to be sure that they work perfectly in your vehicle. Please be sure to refer to your Owner's Manual for recommended oil, etc. Also, you'll want to keep your receipts for your oil / oil filter and other
    maintenance parts, just in case you need to show proof of maintenance. You should also make a notation in the back of your warranty and service booklet of the date that you did the service.

If you haven't done so already, you might also want to create your MySubaru site. This is an on-line place where you can track your service, as well as get on-line information and service reminders. The site has many other features, as well. You can view it by going to our Web site (www.subaru.com) and clicking on "Owners" and then following the prompts to create a site. If you don't have a PIN, you'll need to first request one."

tan
    April 18th, log onto Edmunds Townhall for a chat with some Subie Techs, ask away on them.

Re: From the horses mouth

Originally posted by beastcivic

"Just to add to her comments, please be aware that the genuine Subaru oil filters have a washer included that needs to be replaced each time you change the oil. So, you might want to purchase a few oil filters from your dealership, just to be sure that they work perfectly in your vehicle. Please be sure to refer to your Owner's Manual for recommended oil, etc. Also, you'll want to keep your receipts for your oil / oil filter and other
    maintenance parts, just in case you need to show proof of maintenance. You should also make a notation in the back of your warranty and service booklet of the date that you did the service.

The washer are not included with filter. You have to buy them. Some may give it to you for free. You use them for the drain plug. . I paid about $0.30 at the dealer but I got fumoto valve so I only need one.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.