1st oil change in 2004 WRX

This is a discussion on 1st oil change in 2004 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; is the 04 different than the 02-03? Lots of folk said they can change their oil without taking off the ...

1st oil change in 2004 WRX

is the 04 different than the 02-03? Lots of folk said they can change their oil without taking off the underbody plastic.

my oil filter is right under the underbody plastic. If I took the filter off a ton of oil would get all over the plastic.

oh also good news I had no trouble taking the gasket or oil filter off
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The MY04 is different. You need to take the cover off (or cut a hole to access the oil filter).

Funny... I was about to ask the same question since many mentioned the ease of the change on the WRX.

Just use the Oil Change Stickey at the top of this section for some info.

One question... someone mentioned a "drain plug crush washer" on another post. Do I need to purchase one of these too (& where at)? I've never had one of these on any of my two previous vehicles.
    Last edited by Sick Boy; 09-04-2003 at 09:18 AM.
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

you buy the oil change gasket at the suby dealership.

man why'd they have to put that oil filter behind the panel on the 04, I can't change it in 5 minutes with the futjisu valve now.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

The crush washer you can buy at the Subaru dealer or any auto parts store. I haven't put one on mine yet. But I did buy a pack for next time.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

I'd recommend taking off the plastic. Doesn't take much time to get off, you'll have to get it off for most bigger repairs so you might as well get used to it, and you're right, you'll probably get oil all over the shielding. The nice thing is with it's right height, you don't need a jack!