Just Got My Oil Changed - It Was Totally Black! Why? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Just Got My Oil Changed - It Was Totally Black! Why? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; That black oil WAS Mobil1, by the way. Well, I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I'll take ...

That black oil WAS Mobil1, by the way.

Well, I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I'll take another good lok after I go to the race track this weekend.

Thanks for all your input, everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    From the bible (Machinery's Handbook)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oil.gif  

Pay attention, time for another lesson in tribology.

Always run 5W-30.

Did you get that?

Mobil1, Syntec, and Amsoil will all provide better lubrication under high heat conditions and last longer in a high performance engine. Also, synthetics are less viscous overall, especially at low temperatures, so they lubricate the engine better on cold startup during the winter. Unless you are going to work your engine, the 4.9 Quart capacity of the WRX oiling system is more than adequate to cool the stock turbo at <16psi. You can use regular as long as you change it according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

As an aside, I see absolutely no reason to synthetic 0W-30 or 0W-?? in any engine. This is a marketing ploy because if the oil was really 0W, it would be downright dangerous to put in an engine. Also, if it's really hot where you live, you might want to try 5W-40 or 10W-40 synthetic. You'd be able to run across the desert at 85mph all day on this.

-Jim

Originally posted by dark_rex
    Platinum, get your school book ass in here and help us out.
    dR

tan
    Other pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oil2.gif  

The WRX car manual flat out says to use 5W30.

i always thought in a temperate zone (large variation in temps) it's best to use 10W. i mean, my car will see a range of temps from 25 degrees to 65 degrees this spring, up to 95 or so in the summer, and as low as 10 below in the winter.

doesn't the 10 weight hold up better in these conditions?

if i were in say florida, where the temp changes are much less drastic, i would use %W.

no?

dR

tan
    Well, that's the reason for multi-weight oil. A straight weight oil has its limitations, for reasons who just stated. The mult-weight, let's say 5w30, will perform like a 5 weight oil when conditions are cooler. During the operting temperature range, the oil acts like a 30 weight oil (thanks to some viscosity thickeners)

Redline & Amsoil oils are a Group IV category (PAO stock).

Mobil 1 Trisynthetic is in the Group III category (PAO + combination of of hydrocracked oil, or just hydrocracked). It is the same category as Castrol Syntec. Reason why Mobil went to the Tri-synthetic formual? It's cheaper, and since Castrol won the lawsuit on synthetic oil labels, Mobil Oil said -- why not? THey make it cheaper, charge the same, make more money.

The PAO base stock, is superior to conventional oil in every way. It's more thermally & shearly stable. PAO "burns" at a temperatures about 7 times greater than conventional oil.

Jim, why is a 0W-# down right dangerous to put into an engine?

Tan,

Have you ever heard of SAE 0W oil? I don't think it exists. The lowest they go is 5W. I'm not saying that 0W-35 synthetic oil is dangerous. I'm just saying I don't think there really IS a 0W oil.

Originally posted by tan
    Jim, why is a 0W-# down right dangerous to put into an engine?

Since everyone is so interested in oil you might want to check out www.oilanalysis.com. There is more information on oil than I ever wanted to know. The message board is especially interesting, although I did a search on the original topic "black oil" and didn't come up with anything specific.

Dale

tan
    Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Tan,

Have you ever heard of SAE 0W oil? I don't think it exists. The lowest they go is 5W. I'm not saying that 0W-35 synthetic oil is dangerous. I'm just saying I don't think there really IS a 0W oil.

Yes, 0w oil is API (American Petroleum Institute) approved for SJ/CF certification. And 0w is a SAE grade.

For 0w oil here are the labels:

Castrol TWS Motorsport (SJ/CF)
    Havoline Formula 3 X1 Extra (SJ/CF)
    Troco Oil:
    Diesel Lube 14 (CF, CF-2/SJ)
    Super Select (SL, the newest classification for spark ignited engine oil)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12