HELP! Brake Problem - Hydraulic Unit?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP! Brake Problem - Hydraulic Unit? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today I installed Stoptech steel braided brake lines, and changed the fluid to Motul. After I finished bleeding the brakes, ...

Question HELP! Brake Problem - Hydraulic Unit?

Today I installed Stoptech steel braided brake lines, and changed the fluid to Motul. After I finished bleeding the brakes, I took the car out for a ride and had almost no pedal pressure whatsoever. In order to stop the car, I had to pump the crap out of the brakes.

Once I got home, I started thinking about the problem, which was also reported by another member. Apparently he fixed it by going for another drive and hitting the pedal hard a few times. I tried that, but to no avail.

Back home again, I decided that I must have f'd up the brake bleeding, and found the proper order and way to do it. After bleeding the brakes a second time (two bottles of Motul gone at this point), I took the car for another ride. No change whatsoever, and there was NO air coming from the brake lines.

There are two things that concern me at this point, and one of them may help lead to a solution to the problem. 1. The left rear brake had almost no pressure during the second bleeding. Even after ten pedal pumps, the fluid would just dribble out. 2. At one point during the first bleeding, I believe that I let the fluid get too low, and basically had to refill the entire resevioir.

After reading some more on endwrench.com, I learned that there is more to an ABS system than just a master cylinder and lines. There is a hydraulic unit which seems somehow bleedable, aside from using the caliper bleed valves. Is it possible that I got air in this hydraulic unit when the resevoir was emptied? Does anyone know how to bleed this thing? Are there any easy ways to check for leaks in the lines themselves?

I'm 99% sure that the lines have been installed correctly, and are not leaking, so this hydraulic unit seems like my last hope. If anyone can help, please do, because I need to drive back to New York (from Rhode Island) tomorrow, and I doubt that there will be many mechanics that can help me on Labor Day.

Thanks!
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

La.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Thumbs down

Matt,

You are not allowed to work on your car anymore.

-Jim

Jim,

You're not allowed to work on my car anymore either.

Don't we have any gurus around here? Can someone at least look through their service manual??? Mine's on my PC at home, so I can't even check what it has to say.

Thanks again,
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Nobody has a service manual?
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry Matt, letting the resevoir run dry is a major F-Up. You'll need to replace the master cylinder, booster and ABS unit as they're certainly ruined. Bummer...........

OK, Step 1: DON'T PANIC!

If you let the resevoir run dry then you'll need to bleed the master cylinder. You're getting no pressure at the bottom of the system 'cause you have a big 'ol bubble at the top of the system - has nothing to do with the ABS. Please find service manual instructions attached. Note that you'll need to re-bleed the lines after bleeding the master cylinder. And possibly buy Motul stock.

edit: BE CAREFUL! Brake fluid makes a great paint stripper.

C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails masterbleed.gif  
    Last edited by GV27; 08-31-2003 at 08:51 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Are there any easy ways to check for leaks in the lines themselves?
    Yeah!

Step 1. Park the car on clean concrete.

Step 2. Pump the brakes a bunch.

Step 3. Move the car.

Step 4. Is the concrete still clean? If not, the lines are leaking!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Thanks a bunch!

This morning I went out to bleed my master cylinder, and just as I was removing the first brake line, it started raining. The only thing that I could do was try and find a mechanic that was open. It turns out that Speedy was open until 2pm, and they agreed to bleed the whole system for me. They mentioned that there was a load of air in the left rear line (as I had suspected) and that the master cylinder was in good shape.

So now everything works great, and somehow I still saved money. All of the tools, including jack, jack stands, chocks, bleeding kit, wrenches, etc, plus the Speedy work, was still $25 cheaper than the installation quote that I had gotten.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    And all those tools will be useful in the future. Any project I do (car, house, yard, whatever) I'm always willing to spend a bunch on tools - even if I don't save money on the job at hand I'll save money down the road.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

True, true. Too bad I had all of those tools at home already. I had to buy them because I was at my Mom's place at felt like getting the job done!
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.