Driving without heat shield
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Driving without heat shield within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How bad is it to drive your car without your heat shield installed? I ask because my new DP doesn't ...

Driving without heat shield

How bad is it to drive your car without your heat shield installed? I ask because my new DP doesn't have the same brackets for the heat shield that the stock one had.
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    I like A/C for the sole reason that it makes the idle sound meaner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hmmm so I had this same problem

I did a search for heatsheild and read about 20 posts on the exactly same subject you did. *hint* search!

but in a nutshell, you can trim your OEM heatshield to make it fit on your downpipe.

The people who did trim and reinstall their heatshields said you have to do it to prevent heat going onto intercooler

the people who did not reinstlal the heatsheild said it doesn't matter.

I'm gonna put my back on soon.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

The problem isn't size, its that my new DP doesn't have the brackets to hold the shield. I have nowhere to bolt the shield!
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

hmmm my heat sheild bolts onto this bracket that attaches to the bolts that hold the downpipe on. You can just use the three screws on this bracket and not worry about putting the other screws that used to attach to the old downpipe on.

The brackets to hold my heat shield were WELDED to my old DP..... they aren't removable.
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

are you sure? I got a 04 WRX too and the bracket attaches on the turbo/downpipe bolts just like every other WRX.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint

Originally posted by kit99bar
    are you sure? I got a 04 WRX too and the bracket attaches on the turbo/downpipe bolts just like every other WRX.
    I'll double check but my mechanic said that, it looked like that; I do have 2 brackets that were taken off, but neither of them seem to fit the heat shield.

-Blue
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

ok I bet one of those was the heatsheild bracket.
    If I had a digi camera I would take a picture

you can easily reinstall it. Just take off the top two bolts from the
    downpipe/turbo connection, fit the bracket on, then put the bolts back on. then you can mount the heat shield again.
    04 WRX Black no options!

ok I bet one of those was the heatsheild bracket.
    If I had a digi camera I would take a picture

you can easily reinstall it. Just take off the top two bolts from the
    downpipe/turbo connection, fit the bracket on, then put the bolts back on. then you can mount the heat shield again.
    Thanks, I'll try that.

BTW, don't buy an HKS SSQV

Get a GFB HYBRID!
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

I made my own with thermo-tec cool-it mat. It's more of an insulator I guess, but it works very well. I blocked off the turbo all the way down to the tranny, basically like making a wall dividing the intercooler from everything else. Extremely light weight, mine's only held up by aluminum foil ducting tape. Cool-it mat in a 24" x 48" size costs $26 from summitracing, you'll use about 1/4 - 1/2 of it depending on if you want to double up the layers. The leftover you can use to wrap sensor wires, A/C piping, etc. I think I have some old pictures up on my yahoo page. The one in those pictures was my first one, I've since added a second layer because I had enough left over after doing everything else I wanted to under the hood.
    Last edited by tdxflex; 08-15-2003 at 10:21 PM.

is the GFB hybrid 50/50?

Originally posted by Blue2004WRX
    Thanks, I'll try that.

BTW, don't buy an HKS SSQV

Get a GFB HYBRID!
    04 WRX Black no options!

is the GFB hybrid 50/50?
    Both, which is a great design. It comes 50/50, so you can hook it up to your return hose, or you can use the blanking cap they provide to make it %100. I keep mine 50/50... quiet when I'm just putting around, but anything over 4,000 RPM and you get a sick sound.

-Blue
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.