Power Steering problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Power Steering problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was driving and just cruising home one day. I wasnt going ...

Power Steering problem

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was driving and just cruising home one day. I wasnt going fast or driving hard, but i had to turn out of a driveway and as i turned the wheel, it made a loud whinning noise. The steering seems to have a lack in response time and it odesnt feel smooth when turning left to right. It feels somewhat jolty and noisy. Im hoping that this is covered under my warranty. Power steering fluid levels seem ok. If anyone can add any input that'd be great. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Could your belt be loose? That would cause a lack of power delivery to the power steering system and would cause a squealing sound. Maybe your tensioner is bad?
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Power Steering problem

Originally posted by crzycujo
    Im hoping that this is covered under my warranty.
    I don't see why not on an unmodded car within the warranty mileage. Take it in. It could be a pump problem -- belts tend to make wild animal noises when they're loose, while pumps tend to whine if they're unhappy. Have a dealer check it, it'll save you trouble and worries.
    SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Post Power Steering problem ... please advice

Quote Originally Posted by crzycujo View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was driving and just cruising home one day. I wasnt going fast or driving hard, but i had to turn out of a driveway and as i turned the wheel, it made a loud whinning noise. The steering seems to have a lack in response time and it odesnt feel smooth when turning left to right. It feels somewhat jolty and noisy. Im hoping that this is covered under my warranty. Power steering fluid levels seem ok. If anyone can add any input that'd be great. Thanks

This is happening to me too ...
    On start up the pumps whine loudly when I turn the steering and quiets out as the car heats up ...
    Also the steering seems to have a lack in response time and it doesn't feel smooth when turning left to right. It feels somewhat jolty the suddenly gives to smooth and typically at higher speeds...

Now I recently changed out my steering rack pinion seal...and hence the fluid...but this problem did not occur prior to these repairs. So it must be something as a result of the changes causing this behavior...not so ?

What can be causing this?

one explanation was the belt tensioner
    another...the pwr steering fluid is the wrong kind
    three...the active steering control fluid solenoid adjustment in the ECU is bad.

What do the experts have to say about this?
    Help please please!

If it happens worse when the car is cold I would lean towards belt/tensioner.
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    Start your touble shooting.

1. If it's under warranty and unmodded, then take it in and let them earn the money you paid them when you bought the car.

2. If it's not under warranty or you goofed and voided your warranty, start checking from the easiest thing to the hardest. Fluid level first. Belts and tensioners are next. Flush and replace fluid with known-good third. Move on from there.

A common problem for early DIYers is to think the worst and try to tackle a problem from the woste-case side only to learn, as they go, that the problem was something easier (and cheaper) to fix.

rotorocker If it happens worse when the car is cold I would lean towards belt/tensioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post

Many thanks for that useful info guys...I will be sure to check these things first because as u guessed it I already heard awful scary stories of a new pump etc etc...

Ok so;

My situation is this,

my warantee is void its a used car I bought

The fluid levels are normal but dig this ... its two different fluids Dexron III and Tranny fluid my mech topped up with after changing out the pinion seal
    ...maybe that has something to do with it??? Any inputs?

I need to check the tensioner

And question what brand of fluid to use and how do I drain the mixed fluids in it now and replace with new fluids???

Recently when I've been driving my '05 WRX the steering wheel will become difficult to turn for a moment or two and then return to normal. I can still turn the wheel but it feels almost as though the "power" in power steering has stopped. It happens at different speeds and usually when the wheel is turned 30-90 degrees to the left or right. It doesn't feel like the added resistance is from anything sticky or that it's catching on something. It's just that the ease with which you can usually turn a wheel doesn't cut it.

Does this sound like I'm running low on fluid or would it be a more complex problem?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by treborcd View Post
    Does this sound like I'm running low on fluid or would it be a more complex problem?
    These types of issues could come from one of three places:
    1. Low power steering fluid
    2. Loose power steering belt
    3. Bad power steering pump

You can check the first two things yourself. If those are ok, then the pump is bad.

In the future, just a suggestion, start your own thread instead of continuing a thread from a separate user.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.