Quick air filter question, please help!

This is a discussion on Quick air filter question, please help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I took out my air filter to show the local auto-parts dealer the size/shape so he can order me ...

Quick air filter question, please help!

Hey, I took out my air filter to show the local auto-parts dealer the size/shape so he can order me a K & N replacement...the outside was totally clean but the inside showed signs of oil, is this normal? One guy at the counter goes "What are you burning?!" then when I said I have a turbo the other guy goes "Oh yeah my Eclipse used to get that all the time, its a turbo thing"

Just wanted to know if its normal to have oil residue on the inside of the filter...I guess thats why they sell oil catch cans?
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    The OEM filter has a little oil in it IIRC. To see if you have oil in the intake section, just take your IC off and see if there's a film of grease on the inside. Most stock WRX's will exhibit this and it is from oil blowby. It's not enough to harm anything and if it really bothers you, you can get a oil catch can. I put one on since I'm far from stock, but it's not a "gotta have it thing".

Calvin

It doesn't bother me...its just I asked a few people about this and got mixed reactions...some said its normal, some said its not...if its normal then I'm ok with a little oil on my filter...if its not I would like to know so I can go back to the dealer.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market