Redline shockproof?

This is a discussion on Redline shockproof? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i wanna put redline shockproof super light in my tranny because ive heard nothing but good stuff, but ...

Redline shockproof?

hey guys i wanna put redline shockproof super light in my tranny because ive heard nothing but good stuff, but im a tad bit lost, is it Redline shock proof super light " gear oil?" or is there a actuall "transmission fluid??" is there a specific viscosity? i am driving a 03 WRX, thanks alot guys
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    "transmission fluid" = "gear oil"

Cobb Tuning talks about ShockProof a bit in this article:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html

Redline is sorta funny about the viscosity on it, as it has a much higher film strength compared to flow compared to other oils - that is, when you talk about the protective barrier between parts it works like a thicker oil but when you compare it on the basis of how well it flows from place to place it is more like a thinner oil. Hence this odd description from redline:

The Heavy can be rated as a 75W250 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an SAE 75W90. The LightWeight can be rated as a 75W140 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an SAE 30 motor oil. The SuperLight can be rated as a 70W90 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an ATF. These ShockProof lubricants provide much greater viscosity in the thin layers between the gear teeth, but have very low internal fluid friction, which means very little power loss for the protection achieved.
    (from http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/spgoti.htm)

So Cobb recomends the superlight but you could go clear up to the heavy and still get enough flow. I have the SuperLight in mine, but we put the LightWeight in my buddy's Impreza 2.2L w/ excellent results as well.

Basically it's a matter of how much protection you need - the SuperLight gives you better protection than standard oils anyway, so (at least in Cobb's opinion) you're better off using it and reaping the efficiency benefits.

C
    Last edited by GV27; 08-10-2003 at 08:46 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

thanks alot for the info buddy, that was alot of help
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

Is the Shockproof oil GL-5 rated?

I Support ClubWRX
    no
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    no
    I would like to try the shockproof in my tranny. Should I be worried that it is not GL-5 rated? I know in the manual it says to use a GL-5 rated gear oil.

Originally posted by EIonJess
    IShould I be worried that it is not GL-5 rated? I know in the manual it says to use a GL-5 rated gear oil.
    Here is my take on the GL-4 - GL-5 controversy. Take it with a grain of salt

GL-4 - API GL-4 denotes lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid (see note) gears operating under moderate speeds and loads.

GL-5 - API GL-5 denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid (see note) gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed/shock load and lowspeed/high-torque conditions.

From what I've read, a GL-4 oil is better suited for a transmission, whereas a GL-5 oil is better suited for a differential. Since our tranny and front diff share the same fluid, Subaru recommends a GL-5 oil.

A lot of people have had great results with a GL-4 oil (Goodwrench Synchromesh Transaxle Lubricant and Redline Shockproff come to mind) and I have yet to hear of any related problems.

IMO, the tranny should be fine with a GL-4 oil, however the front diff might be what suffers from the use of a GL-4 oil.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.