Mobile1 15w-50? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Mobile1 15w-50? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by stickman ... [EDIT] ... Should I worry... [EDIT] ... that im using 5w-30 instead of 10w-30. My ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by stickman
    ... [EDIT] ... Should I worry... [EDIT] ... that im using 5w-30 instead of 10w-30.
    My personal ordered preferences in the Mobil1 lineup are:

15W-50
    0W-40
    10W-30
    5W-30
    0W-30

from first to last, for the reasons stated above.

To show you just how meaningless all the stuff I spew out really is, here's an example of what happens when you take a Chevy LS1 V8 Camaro, put Mobil1 5W-30 in it, and drive 16,000 miles (no typo; sixteen thousand miles or 25,744 km).

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

It'll answer your question of whether to worry or not in a much more definitive manner - plus, you'll get to see what happens over 16,000 miles with data points for every 1,000 miles. A must see site. (Hint: Don't worry).

SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by GV27
    I can sorta see your concern. But really it's gonna be awful hard for them to tell the difference between 15-50 and 20-50. And I've yet to hear of a warranty claim being denied by SOA over something as small as that. In fact the only claims SOA has denied have been pretty major - bigger turbo, etc.
    As far as the dealership is concerned they're not gonna know or care the difference if there's somethin' oil colored in there. [SNIP]... I just can't see them spending anytime to figure out if you had 10-50, 15-50 or 20-50 in there!
    Yup. They could do an analysis and have the lab sort it out, but more likely than not they'll ask for receipts and just look at them (mine say stuff like "motor oil" or "mobil" and don't even clarify what grade it is sometimes!).

I might try drinking herbal teas or something to help me worry less about stuff I suppose.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SD_GR

I might try drinking herbal teas or something to help me worry less about stuff I suppose.
    LOL St. John's Wort works well! They sell a certain other type of herbal tea in coffee shops in Holland that works well too .
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm making some progress. Last night I drained out the old oil after a 5,000 mile interval, and replaced it with 3.8 qts M1 10W-30 spiked with 1.0 qt of M1 15W-50 (it's still quite warm out here and the 10W-30 is on the thin side). Again, Mobil have stated all their oils are miscible. So far I am coping well...

I'm a risk taker (lol) and just changed out my first 5,000 mile interval 0W-40 Mobil 1. The oil looked good and I barely had to add any oil during the 5,000 miles. I'm happy.

Needless to say especially with winter coming up, I refilled it with Mobil 1 0W-40. I like 15W-50 but think it's a little heavy for my climate in anything but summer and I'm comfortable with the 40 weight in the summer heat.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm very pleased to hear you had low consumption. I've heard that in AU Subaru has struck a deal with dealers to exclusively provide a Mobil 1 5W-40 formulation, but no luck here. It'd be great to go to the dealer and have them offer every car on the lot such a robust oil.

I think I'd be running the same oil you are in your climate.

I overestimated my total consumption of 10W-30 these past 5000 miles; it's only about half a liter and almost certainly less than that even.

I'm getting the impression M1 is a good oil!!!

Stress

Originally posted by GV27
    LOL St. John's Wort works well! They sell a certain other type of herbal tea in coffee shops in Holland that works well too .
    Yea i just finished reading the sticky about SOA warranty claims. Would would have figued I'd have to go to so much trouble just to replace some exhaust pipes. Were not talking on me strapping in a NoS fogger here. Pipes, thats it.

Ok afk to check my blood pressure and drink some herbal tea until its time for my yoga lessons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12