Floor Jack Opinions?

This is a discussion on Floor Jack Opinions? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After smacking my glasses on my rear diff a couple times changing my sway bar, I have decided that I ...

Floor Jack Opinions?

After smacking my glasses on my rear diff a couple times changing my sway bar, I have decided that I want a floor jack. I live about a mile from a Harbor Freight store, which has cheap tools. Some of them are pretty junky, so I'm a little concerned about getting a jack there. But here goes:

$20, looks a little flimsy, 2.25 Tons

$54, getting better, 2.25 Tons

$150, Bling! 2.5 Tons

I'm open to suggestions here. I don't have a ton of room to maneuver in my garage, so compact jacks are more interesting. I know I can get a bottle jack cheap, but it doesn't seem like I'd have enough clearance to get it under the car. I've got a set of jack stands already, but I don't want to use the spare tire jack because they tend to suck.

What do you all use? Floor Jack? Bottle Jack? Ramps?
    ribonucleic acid freakout

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ramps scraped paint of my bumper .

That being said thus far i've used *gasp* the jack from my trunk . It's a total PITA, but i'm cheap.

I'm interested in the floor jacks too. *waits for info*.

I bought a $20 2.5 ton floor jack from Kragen Auto Parts that looks very much like that same one from Harbor Freight. Overall it works pretty good - I've used it for oil changes only, so I don't know if it will give you enough clearance for the sway bars, but the oil was no prob. I just jacked it up and put it on the jack stands, which incidentally I also got at Kragen for $20. I'm a little freaked out to be risking my life under my car with only $40 worth of metal holding my car up, but so far so good!

-MacGomez-
    '04 Java Black Impreza WRX Wagon
    Minor mods, nothing spectacular (yet!)

Originally posted by MacGomez
    I'm a little freaked out to be risking my life under my car with only $40 worth of metal holding my car up, but so far so good!

-MacGomez-
    Haha, a bit unnerving I would assume. My jackstands are from wal-mart, so i'm with you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most tools from Harbor Freight seem to actually be pretty good considering the price.

Look for one with a nice big plate - mines like 3" or 4" in diameter - a lot of cheaper jacks have a little one only 1 or 2".

I have a Craftsman 3 ton model I paid about $50 10 years ago that I've had no probelms with. I think just about any floor jack will be better than the one in the trunk!

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    I have a Craftsman 3 ton model I paid about $50 10 years ago that I've had no probelms with. I think just about any floor jack will be better than the one in the trunk!
    C
    No doubt about that. That flimsy thing sucks!

I bought a $20 2.5 ton floor jack from Kragen Auto Parts that looks very much like that same one from Harbor Freight. Overall it works pretty good - I've used it for oil changes only, so I don't know if it will give you enough clearance for the sway bars, but the oil was no prob. I just jacked it up and put it on the jack stands, which incidentally I also got at Kragen for $20. I'm a little freaked out to be risking my life under my car with only $40 worth of metal holding my car up, but so far so good!

-MacGomez-
    Would you feel safer with one of these?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog
    Thanks,
    Ali

How are the walmart jacks? Mack brand (built like a mack truck).

A jack is a jack as long as it will lift your car and hold it there until you get the jack stands under it.

The ones with the large dish are nice but you cant really use the stock jack points with them. The smaller dish ones fit just right on the jackpoints. Dont bother with a bottle jack. They are dangerous.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you get the car on jackstands? If you jack up one corner, the jack will be where the jackstand needs to go. Do you jack up using another location and put the jackstand by the wheel?
    Thanks,
    Ali

You lift the car up on the jack, then slide the jackstand in beside the jack as close as possible to the jack point. Make sure you have the stand lined up correctly so that the jack point rests on the stand when you lower the car. (This isn't easy, since the jack point on the WRX is really small.) Make sure you have the car in gear and the brake on, and use wheel chocks.

-MacGomez-
    '04 Java Black Impreza WRX Wagon
    Minor mods, nothing spectacular (yet!)

You lift the car up on the jack, then slide the jackstand in beside the jack as close as possible to the jack point. Make sure you have the stand lined up correctly so that the jack point rests on the stand when you lower the car. (This isn't easy, since the jack point on the WRX is really small.) Make sure you have the car in gear and the brake on, and use wheel chocks.

-MacGomez-
    Would a jack with a small plate work better for the WRX? It will give you more room to slide in the jack stands.
    Thanks,
    Ali

That $150 bling one from Harbor Freight is pretty kickarse. Go for it. Nice and light too, if you end up being the type that will go to races and change your tires.

tcc