? about different types of oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ? about different types of oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have heard from a trusted friend that horizontally opposed engines run a little hotter then "V" blocks. He told ...

I have heard from a trusted friend that horizontally opposed engines run a little hotter then "V" blocks. He told me he wouldn't use anything less than 10w 40 (in a wrx) and that here in Raleigh (summertime temp. around 92-99f) I should use 20w 50 in the summer and 10w 40 in the winter. He also said that when he was a mechanic for Richmond P.D. (1970's) that they used Havoline oil. "You never saw a cop car broken down on the highway have you?".

I really don't want to turn this forum into a flame/personal oppinion hotbed, I just don't want to hurt the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Gabe
    "*gasp* this car is fast" -my mom
    "wow this really pulls" -my dad
    "i want one" -a friend

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would trust what Subaru says to use not your friend..They built the engine..Secondly I thought because of our horizontal engine it displaces heat better therefore running cooler?? anyone else heard that??

Well 5W-30 or 10W-30 is the 'prefered' oil, however the Owners Manual also says this.
    -Recommended grade and viscostiy under severe driving conditions.

If the vehicle is used in desert areas with very high temperatures, or used for heavy-duty applications such as towing a trailer, use of oil with the following grade and viscosities is recommended.

API classification SL or SJ or SH:
    SAE viscosity No.: 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50

I use M1 0W-40 and it seems to be working good.

Now tuca33 (02 WRX wagon) lives in Brazil and his Owners Manual recommends Synthetic Oil SAE 15W50. I understand that Brazil is very hot, but I find it interesting that Subaru recommends a 15W-50 synthetic oil.

Personally, I think Subaru's oil recommendations in the US have more to do with keeping CAFE happy then with keeping the engine happy.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

"Personally, I think Subaru's oil recommendations in the US have more to do with keeping CAFE happy then with keeping the engine happy."

I AGREE!!!!

Its all a matter of loacation and use of the car...here in Colorado it can get real hot in summer and I do a lot of mountain driving with lots of wieght in the car...I also tow a trailer with my car from time to time depending on the trip I am taking and how long...so I use mobil 1 full syn 15w-50..made for turbocharged and supercharged engines...and I am a fan of mobil 1 so I will go with it....thats my 2 cents..

~Kory

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.