? about different types of oil

This is a discussion on ? about different types of oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have heard from a trusted friend that horizontally opposed engines run a little hotter then "V" blocks. He told ...

I have heard from a trusted friend that horizontally opposed engines run a little hotter then "V" blocks. He told me he wouldn't use anything less than 10w 40 (in a wrx) and that here in Raleigh (summertime temp. around 92-99f) I should use 20w 50 in the summer and 10w 40 in the winter. He also said that when he was a mechanic for Richmond P.D. (1970's) that they used Havoline oil. "You never saw a cop car broken down on the highway have you?".

I really don't want to turn this forum into a flame/personal oppinion hotbed, I just don't want to hurt the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Gabe
    "*gasp* this car is fast" -my mom
    "wow this really pulls" -my dad
    "i want one" -a friend

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would trust what Subaru says to use not your friend..They built the engine..Secondly I thought because of our horizontal engine it displaces heat better therefore running cooler?? anyone else heard that??

Well 5W-30 or 10W-30 is the 'prefered' oil, however the Owners Manual also says this.
    -Recommended grade and viscostiy under severe driving conditions.

If the vehicle is used in desert areas with very high temperatures, or used for heavy-duty applications such as towing a trailer, use of oil with the following grade and viscosities is recommended.

API classification SL or SJ or SH:
    SAE viscosity No.: 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50

I use M1 0W-40 and it seems to be working good.

Now tuca33 (02 WRX wagon) lives in Brazil and his Owners Manual recommends Synthetic Oil SAE 15W50. I understand that Brazil is very hot, but I find it interesting that Subaru recommends a 15W-50 synthetic oil.

Personally, I think Subaru's oil recommendations in the US have more to do with keeping CAFE happy then with keeping the engine happy.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

"Personally, I think Subaru's oil recommendations in the US have more to do with keeping CAFE happy then with keeping the engine happy."

I AGREE!!!!

Its all a matter of loacation and use of the car...here in Colorado it can get real hot in summer and I do a lot of mountain driving with lots of wieght in the car...I also tow a trailer with my car from time to time depending on the trip I am taking and how long...so I use mobil 1 full syn 15w-50..made for turbocharged and supercharged engines...and I am a fan of mobil 1 so I will go with it....thats my 2 cents..

~Kory