Quick answer requested re: tire rotation
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Quick answer requested re: tire rotation within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just had my 7500 service done - including tire rotation - at Stohlman in NoVA. After I got back, ...

Quick answer requested re: tire rotation

I just had my 7500 service done - including tire rotation - at Stohlman in NoVA.

After I got back, I realized that they never asked me for the key to unlock the wheel locks. Is there a universal key that subaru dealers have that unlocks the Genuine Parts wheel locks, or should I insist that they do the tire rotation? Or is there any other way of knowing, having never marked them, if the rotation was done?

Thanks for your rapid responses, people. Keep on rocking in the free world.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check the tire pressures!

What would that tell me - the service was already done and I didn't check the pressure before I went in.

If they are those specified in the manual, then either they have checked them, or rotated the tires and checked them. If they are not, then they may have not checked them, or rotated the wheels without checking the pressures.

Also check the thread depth; the front tires should have less thread left; so if the tires with less thread are in the rear, chances are they rotated them.

I Support ClubWRX
    At the very least it'd tell you whether they set the correct pressures.

Your door sill has a label with the correct pressures (I think it's 220 kPa front, 200kPa rear, but *do* check your door sill). If you see they are set correctly, they either didn't rotate, or rotated and re-set the pressures. If they're incorrect (reversed), they rotated and didn't set the pressures, and so on with the logic etc...

If you are using works wheels and lug nuts, they may very well have a lug key assortment. If not, chances are they won't, and they simply didn't rotate. Ask them in either case.

Also, check your lug nuts for signs of wear. Has a wrench been on them?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm gonna check that when I get home. The woman at the dealership told me that they found the key and would have called if they didn't. It wasn't particularly hard to find, so I buy that. But I'll check anyway.

Thanks for your help.

what's the recommeneded tire rotation interval anyway?

I Support ClubWRX
    It's in the manual. 7.5-15-22.5-30 and so on, in mi.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I would check very carefully the lug nuts, it there's no marks, they probably never saw a wrench.

I have a question; What is the recommended torque setting for the 16" aluminum stock wheels?? (and please don't reply "pretty tight") THANKS.
    "If all goes quiet, you're airborne"
    -anon

I Support ClubWRX
    Check your manual under "Flat Tires;" I believe it's in Chapter 9 and the official spec is "pretty tight..."

In all seriousness, it's 100 Nm max for an MY02 bugeye car, with 80 Nm min. Check it though since your year is different than mine (bugeye 02).

So if you're wondering how I resolved it, I called the service dept. at Stohlman (No. VA), talked to the woman in admitting (really, it looks like a hospital admitting dept.) and she informed me exactly where I keep the wheel locks in my car and how "everyone always puts them in the same place. If we didn't find them, we would have called you."

I trust them. In fact, I've bought 2 cars from them. I just didn't see how they did the rotation without ever asking me for the key to take the tires off.

So, let that be a lesson to us all. Or something like that. They know where we keep our wheel locks. And maybe the people who want to steal the wheels do too.

Thanks for the lug nut torque #. Couldn't find it in the manual.

Now that we're on the subject, I'll add a story about wheel locks.

I lost my key once to my locking wheel lug nuts. It was the kind that looks like a clover inside a smooth outer nut (I don't know what the wrx ones look like). Anyway, I was living in downtown Chicago at the time, and went to this small - let's just say - independant garage; the kind where they can fix anything in about 10 minutes with no warranty (perfect for a beater - truck owner). They pounded socket wrenches over the smooth outer lug nuts and had the nuts off in about 2 minutes, they were torqued to 90lb-ft! I just went home and put on the regular nuts thereafter.

Moderator: feel free to delete this post if it's giving bad people too much info, I just thought it pertinent cuz I was lucky to have that garage nearby to do this and I learned something.

PS, I just want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum, It's really helpful to a nooby WRX owner like me.
    "If all goes quiet, you're airborne"
    -anon

lol

lol yea I took my car to a local tire shop to get a flat pluged and forgot to tell them where my key was. 20 minutes later I remembered and went back to tell them before they pulled it in. They were like "its done". before I even asked they said we found it in less then a minute

lol teh 3 year n00b bump.

This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.