warm up and cool down

This is a discussion on warm up and cool down within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the dealer told me I needed to let the car warm up for 30 seconds before driving and cool down ...

warm up and cool down

the dealer told me I needed to let the car warm up for 30 seconds before driving and cool down for 30 seconds before turning it off. He said it's for the Turbine.

Is this true? I did a search and see that a turbo timer is pretty pointless on a stock turbo.

thanks,
    Kit
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

30 secs sounds pretty minimal...most people probably take that long straping o the seat belt and turning on the radio or what ever...I guess the goal is to make sure oil is circulating through the turbo. I don't know about most peeps, but it takes a bit for me to manuver out of my parking structure, so there's no boost until the opne road anyways.

INstead of counting in your head...how about an oil pressure/temp gauges? That's probably the best indicator when your car is warmed up proper.

I agree that TT's are not required for stock turbo as long as common sense prevails...i.e. don;t shut her off right after hitting full full boost and redline driving...

Another trick I got from the boards to start the car is to turn the key all the way...wait a couple of seconds (you can hear the pumps going) and then step on the clutch to start the engine. Thru this method I get almost immediate engine start w/o any hesitation...even in below zero temps.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual