Crush Washer confusion (please help)

This is a discussion on Crush Washer confusion (please help) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First car (grew up in NYC where you don't need one), first oil change... first mistake. I placed the crush ...

Crush Washer confusion (please help)

First car (grew up in NYC where you don't need one), first oil change... first mistake. I placed the crush washer ON THE OIL FILTER!!

It seemed to fit the subaru filter perfectly and looked like it would line up with the rubber gasket when it was flattened. Also, I didn't see the crush washer on the oil drain plug (I read that it may be painted on, but I'm 90% sure there wasn't one). Apparently no one on this forum has had this problem (or hasn't admitted it yet). Anyway, besides possible leaking from the pan since there may not be a washer there, what problems will I run into with the crush washer in place where the oil filter screws in? Will it interfere with filtering the oil? My guess is no but I'd like some reassurance.

If you haven't guessed I'm new.
    On a side note, everything else went fine, the original filter came off easily, and I only slightly burned myself. I also got one of those infamous tiny metal particles in my eye. It came loose on my way to the ER. I think I searched every post here regarding oil and oil filters. I didn't think I could screw up things with the washer.

Also, I didn't come across any warning about eye protection. I highly recommend it. So, should I change my oil again (I think I would have to drain it to get that washer off the filter), or just keep an eye on my check oil light and my oil level? Sorry for the long post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Crush Washer confusion (please help)

Originally posted by Arsk
    Also, I didn't see the crush washer on the oil drain plug (I read that it may be painted on, but I'm 90% sure there wasn't one). Apparently no one on this forum has had this problem (or hasn't admitted it yet).
    ER!? Sounds like a rough oil change. I swear that I didn't have a crush washer when I did my first oil change, but everyone says I just didn't see it. I'm glad someone else had this experience (the missing washer, not the bad install and shard of metal in the eye)
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Just look for fresh oil under it!

Eye protection should always be used when working under a vehicle.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Yup. That was pretty stupid, I guess I got lucky that time. And as for my dumb@$$ move with the washer, I just changed the oil again to ease my mind. The washer was in one piece and not crushed so I put it where it belonged. BTW mourning_air, the crush washer was attached to the drain plug like so many of the posts in this forum pointed out. It looks like it belongs there, but I just persisted for a minute with a flathead and sure enough, the old washer popped off. Thanks all.

Thumbs up

Best post EVAR!

Just make sure the oil level is correct on the dip stick. You probably lost a few 1/10ths of a quart by removing the filter.
    Last edited by Hot_Dog; 07-24-2003 at 02:33 PM.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Thanks for the update, I'm sure mine's probably on there too, therefore I just reused it. No leaks, so I'll just change it next time.
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

crush washers are a scam thought of by the "man" who is always trying to bring us down!!!!!!!!!!
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

The dealer gives me the crush washer free with filter :shrug:
    '12 WRB Sedan

I work in the service dept at Acura
    all hondas/Acuras use a crush washer too.

The washer prevents the drain pan threads on the oil pan from getting stripped out over time.

I would remove the oil filter and get the washer out of it, it might be restricting the oil flow in and out of the filter.
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)

I got a 5 pack of crush washers from my local Subie dealer for like $2.00 or something cheap like that.

I'm sure you could try to find them somewhere else, but knowing myself, I want to use what was designed for the oil drain plug. I run Mobil 1 10W30 oil every 4,000 miles.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Is the crush washer supposed to be metal? I went down to the dealer and got the filter and he asked me if I needed a washer and I said "yeah". Its metal, I thought they were plastic?
    2001 Honda S2000 (sold)
    -------------------------
    2002 Subaru WRX

-------------------------
    2004 Axiom S

Yup, they're made of metal.

I 2nd that motion that the crush washers are metal.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)