Help with super torqued lug luts - compliments of Town Fair Tire

This is a discussion on Help with super torqued lug luts - compliments of Town Fair Tire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Went to rotate my fathers tires yesterday. Learned how to do it over the weekend at a garage day on ...

Help with super torqued lug luts - compliments of Town Fair Tire

Went to rotate my fathers tires yesterday. Learned how to do it over the weekend at a garage day on my own rex.

Anyway, to make a long story short... Last time his tires were rotated was by Town Fair Tire. Yeah yeah... You people who know of them say avoid them, even if it costs you your life! Didn't find that out till it was too late to begin with... Ripping me off since I didn't know my head from a hole in the ground too.

Well, when I go to loosen the lug nuts... I find they're probably torqued to Superman Torque Specs (ie. maybe 100?!?). I couldn't loosen them at all... So, my old man comes out, gives it a shot himself. NO GO. Using the donut tire for a flat in this case would be useless!

I don't wanna put much more into it, cause I'm affraid of breaking the lug nut right off.

Probably going to end up bringing it to another tire place, but if anyone has any knowledge on how to loosen these up safely, other than putting everything I have into brute force to twist it off... Let me know!

One thing is for sure though... I AM NEVER GOING TO TFT FOR ANYTHING! That company can burn to the ground for all I care. The business and the 16 year old kids that work for them.

~ Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First of all you're a wuss, j/k The oem lug wrench is very short and hard to get a lot of leverage with. I would use a breaker bar (1" pipe at least 18" long over the lug wrench) and put your weight into it.
    I wouldnd worry to much about breaking something, I think they can handle a lot of torque. Just make sure the wrench is on square so you dont round off the nut or scratch your wheels.

edit: BTW, since they're on so tight I would loosen each slightly at a time in a star pattern just like you would putting them on.
    Last edited by JRod; 07-16-2003 at 12:07 PM.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

I Support ClubWRX
    The easiest thing to do is to go to a shop and have them pull the wheels, rotate them, and torque them correctly. Watch them torque the wheels manually, and then check the lug nuts after a week of driving or so.

DIY isn't risk-free; you could break a stud like you said. If you're game, though, and no amount of gorilla stuff on your part will free the lug nuts, either get someone else to do the gorilla stuff (Olympic weightlifters come to mind) or try using a jack (CAREFULLY!!!) to free the lug nuts. If the jack slips, it could seriously hurt you or worse - it could dent the car!...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Heh, well... More or less actually.. I was more worried about the subaru tools you get with the car breaking! I felt like that wrench thingy (I'm tool stupid) was going to snap.

Any thoughts on using a torque wrench (bar indicator type) the other direction? Might give me an idea if they're torqued beyond godlike powers. (think it reads up to 100)

May end up bringing it to one of the local tire places to have ot done... And give them the torque specs myself so they don't screw up.

Originally posted by Zapix

Any thoughts on using a torque wrench (bar indicator type) the other direction? Might give me an idea if they're torqued beyond godlike powers. (think it reads up to 100)
    This is not accurate, the breakaway torque will be considerably higher than what was actually applied. Just get a heavy metal pipe that is at least a foot or two long and use it over your wrench, or get a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Or take the car back to the shoddy place and make them remove them, that way if they bust a stud they will have to replace it. Just make sure they torque the lugs properly this time.

-the_bear

They are always going to err on the side of too much torque. The consequences are much less severe than if they err the other way.

LOL

Tell that to the kid who over torqued and broke a bolt right off while installing new springs! Heh, and they told him there is no such thing as too much torque!

Seems I'll be taking him to work sometime soon, so I can go get his tires rotated, as I don't feel like going ape on them lug nuts. I refuse to let him near my car to drive to work! He grinds gears like coffee beans. (bad enough my rex was used by me to learn how to drive a manual tranny!)
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

Originally posted by Zapix
    I felt like that wrench thingy (I'm tool stupid) was going to snap.
    LOL
    Breaker Breaker we got a smokey on our tails.
    Breaker bar all the way man, and yeah put some muscle into it.

what did they torque them too/with? Impact guns usually only tighten like 100 ftlbs. Use a BIG ASS pipe (jack handles usually works just fine).
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

The cheapest ones torque to ~100 ft/lbs. Good ones can torque 6-700

the rating is for torque in reverse. i guarntee you that if you let an impact gun do everything it can on a lug nut you can still grab a breakerbar and still turn it.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Be careful trying to loosen them. I had a similar situation with my 4x4. Fortunately I had just been to the dealership a week earlier so they couldn't deny that it was them who overtorqued them. I ended up snapping off 2 of the 7 lug nuts I attempted to take off myself. Both fixed for free, thank God... they wanted $125 for the front stud replaced and $109 for the rear.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

I have a 4' piece of pipe that I use for Gorilla applications, never has failed me, not a once.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, I have a pipe to slip over a breaker bar too. I confess sometimes I'll jump up and down on it, making Tarzan noises, just for the hell of it - if I'm going to either break something loose or break it outright, I may as well have fun, I figure. I weigh 100 kg so usually a little gorilla dance is all it takes. Neighbours love it I'm sure.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.