Synthetic Engine Oil
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Synthetic Engine Oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sup all....talk to me about fluids....what type of oil do you think is the best (synthetic vs natural) and the ...

Fluids...

Sup all....talk to me about fluids....what type of oil do you think is the best (synthetic vs natural) and the brand that you use for the best performance.

What is clutch fluid? Do you ever have to change it? If so...what kind do you use?

What is transmission fluid? Do you ever change it? If so....what kind do you use?

What about brake fluid...and any other fluid I may have forgotten....

Man...if I knew as much about cars as I do computers (which I am going to when i restore my first car) I would not have to ask such questions! Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Clutch & Brake = use brake fluid. Change brake fluid every 2 years. Change the clutch fluid when you replace the clutch.

Gear oil= consult your owner's manual. I may not own one, I'll take a stab here: 75w90 GL4 or GL5 for the gear box. The differentials require a GL5 approved oil. Someone check their manuals.

Motor oil: Synthetic is better, use a PAO stock, like Mobil 1 or Redline or Amsoil

Power Steering: ATF fluid (Dexron III) should be acceptable. Should be changed every 2 years or so.

Post Synthetifc Oil

Who's using it and what brand?

I switched out at 7500 miles to Mobil 1. So far car is running great. I'm thinking of going around 5k between oil changes. Any thoughts?

First time i've ever used synthetic so i'm still looking around. Seems to be a consensus from stuff I've read that 5k is a good number to change oil at (interval wise).

I'm at 10500 right now.

eek! where are those miles going??!!?!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valien,

In Australia the minimum oil change is every 7,700miles or 12,500kms ie the service interval designated by Subaru.

The dealer recommended to me oil changes atleast once between servicing the vehicle so basically the midway mark between serivces change the oil.

Also spoke to a automotive engineer that works on turbochargers and he said every 5,000kms (3,000miles) as a minimum.

It also depends on your driving style. High revving high boost driving means more heat and shorter oil life.
    Also short trip driving also reduces oil life.

YMMV

Cheers
    Antony

I put castrol syntec in at about 10,000 miles.
    It has been working well so far.
    I'll be changing about every 5k as well, keeping track of things at mysubaru.com.

Just be sure not to overfill.

What kind of filter are you guys running?
    '02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

Yeah, i have 800 miles to go till my 5k change again. I'm using the Subaru oem oil filter. Usually pick it up for 5 bucks at the local dealership.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I switched to Mobil 1 at 1,000 miles. I've been using synthetic ever since then. Changed oil every 3,000 miles. I just hit 10,000 miles yesterday and so far, no problems. I'm thinking about changing to synthetic tranny and differential fluid very soon.

Any down side to switching to Synthetic?

Just as the title says...
    Any down side to switching to synthetics?

I just hit 1.5K and I am thinking of switching over?

Is there a minimum time I should stay will OE oil?
    Last edited by Kainic; 03-24-2002 at 10:08 AM.

tan
    It only costs more per oil change, that's it.

Heck I drove 100 miles to buy a case of special oil for my car today -- A case (4x1 gallon) of Mobil Delvac 1 5w40, which costed me about $85.

You can get 5 qt Mobil 1 oil jugs fairly cheap at a Wal-Mart for around $16.

I just hit 1500K and I am thinking of switching over?
    Wow, that's alot of miles for a 02 WRX I assume you mean 1500 miles or 1.5K. I've got 5K on mine but plan on waiting until my 8K oil change to switch over. This way I ensure the engine is fully broke in. Others have switched over to synthetic at first oil change with no ill effects.

Shawn

Maybe he meant 1500 kilometers?

For gear/tranny fluid, may I suggest using Redline MT-90 fluid. It seems to work well for all of the Audi/Porsche guys so it should be fine for the Subarus as well. It makes shifting smoother and protects the gears well.
    Impreza WRX STi owner to be

i've been told to use conventional oil for the first 12-15K miles....that's 15,000 not 1500. The synthetic oil works so well that if you start using it too soon the motor doesn't get a chance to break in properly. the manual says the break-in period is 4500 miles, but that's just the "danger" time when you can really hurt something if you overtax the motor...it continues to settle in untill about 12,000 miles. After that you can switch to synthetic and keep the OIL in for quite some time, however the same cannot be said for the FILTER. ALthough synthetic oil can go upwards of 15000 miles (heck truck drivers go as much as 100K miles on synthetic) the filter still has to be replaced every 3-4k miles. e-z lube will change your filter and top off the oil for you and it costs MUCH less than an oil change (top-offs are free for 3k miles and the filter's like $5).

But turbo cars are hell on oil. I would not go to any higher interval than what the manual says. In fact, I'm still going to do an oil change inbetween the recommended ones. And I'm going to be using synthetic.

So far this is what info I have gathered

Redline 75W90NS for tranny ( without modifier since sycron doesn't
    like modifier ).

Redline 75W90 for the diff ( with modifier for less frictions).

Mobil 1 10w30.

This is from a very long thread on oil in i-club.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast