Synthetic Engine Oil - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Synthetic Engine Oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yeah turbos are rough on oil, but synthetic oil can take it....and when you consider that truck drivers go up ...

yeah turbos are rough on oil, but synthetic oil can take it....and when you consider that truck drivers go up to 100K on synthetic oil you have to remember that ALL diesel tractors have turbos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Question Which Grade of Oil

Sorry to dredge up this old thread again, guys; but my search didn't give me exactly what I was seeking.

Coming up on the 7500 miles. I'm going to switch over to Mobil 1.

Here's my question. Which viscosity ? 5w30 seems to be standard, but the manual gives other grades which can be used for high temperatures, extreme conditions. I've heard others who recommend 15w50 for a turbo.

Most of my driving is a long freeway commute But I do engage in some spirited backroads driving on the weekends and I have a track day coming up at Thunderhill next week. I expect it'll be hot and I'll be working the car hard with plenty of high RPM running. Would something like 10w40 be a reasonable compromise or am I fine sticking with 5w30 ?
    Old, but not slow.

Originally posted by blarg
    yeah turbos are rough on oil, but synthetic oil can take it....and when you consider that truck drivers go up to 100K on synthetic oil you have to remember that ALL diesel tractors have turbos.
    Ya man, but diesel trucks also use some ungodly amount of OIL. The more oil in your sump, theoreticaly, the longer it should last. I remember that our Kenworth use to use something like 20qts!

I know that in AUS. One of the popular modifications is to go with a 7 or 8 quart sump (Oil pan).

Andy

Porsche requires synthetic oil.

I would go with 5W30, or 10W30 if it's really hot and if your next oil change will occur before winter, at which point you will want to switch back to 5W30. I've heard of folks running 0W30, but I haven't personally done so. Everybody has a theory on what works best, but so long as you run a good quality synthetic oil you should be fine with whatever weights the owner's manual specifies.

-Pace

Originally posted by blarg
    i've been told to use conventional oil for the first 12-15K miles....that's 15,000 not 1500. The synthetic oil works so well that if you start using it too soon the motor doesn't get a chance to break in properly. the manual says the break-in period is 4500 miles, but that's just the "danger" time when you can really hurt something if you overtax the motor...it continues to settle in untill about 12,000 miles. After that you can switch to synthetic and keep the OIL in for quite some time, however the same cannot be said for the FILTER. ALthough synthetic oil can go upwards of 15000 miles (heck truck drivers go as much as 100K miles on synthetic) the filter still has to be replaced every 3-4k miles. e-z lube will change your filter and top off the oil for you and it costs MUCH less than an oil change (top-offs are free for 3k miles and the filter's like $5).

oil change

Don't worry about changing your oil to soon i changed mine at 600 miles and switched to mobil 1 5-30 it's running great if you heard and engine needs 4000 miles to break in that's a big lie from what i heard from mechanics that i know.And as far as changing oil 5000 to 10000 should be the norm.

re: motor oil,
    I'm looking to get mobil 1 10w40 (50 is too thick), i'll post any diffs I find (startup/ slow to rev). If heavily modded, special order the f1 standard, mobil1 "motorsport" is a 50 weight.
    re: break-in...well, everyone has something to say about today's breakin processes, but just to let you know, there have been disections of first change oil filters with a quarter's size of metal shavings. Parts may be made to better tolerances today, but mating surfaces should be allowed to "settle"in with each other.
    From the years of car mag. reading, i've seen a couple of articles of unmodded vehicles gaining speed as the engine "loosens up".

Amsoil 1030 Turbo Formula every 2000! Heck if ya buy a bunch the more you can change your oil!
    95' Eclipse GST
    FP green
    720's

02' WRX
    TurboXS Stage 2 w/Blitz SUS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.