Smoking tailpipe
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Smoking tailpipe within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my subie on april 1st, did the first oil change myself(plenty of experience) and now its buring ...

Smoking tailpipe

I just got my subie on april 1st, did the first oil change myself(plenty of experience) and now its buring oil. There are no leaks and my friends were behind me on the highway and said blue smoke comes out when i punch it. I've lost almost a quart and a half in 3000 miles. Anyone have this problem, I f**ki pissed only 6200 miles on my car!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My WRX uses virutally no oil. You need to have her looked at ASAP. What kind of oil did you use?

-Jim

betty doesn't use any oil at all. some people here though are losing up to a quart every oil change.

dR

taken her in

going in tomorrow the 16th. The guy at the dealer tried to tell me its the short ram aem intake, I think hes crazy. I lost a quart between oil changes. Intakes cant do that right??

AEM intakes are reported to cause problems. If your car is leaning out and detonating, you might have fried your rings. This would lead to oil consumption.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    AEM intakes are reported to cause problems. If your car is leaning out and detonating, you might have fried your rings. This would lead to oil consumption.

-Jim
    but that would lead to other major symptoms beyond just oil burning. he wouldn't be holding stead compression at idle, a nd his rpm needle would be bouncing around a bit, and also, he'd be misfiring like a mo-fo on the trashed piston.

dR

Idle

I do have a jumpy idle only when the engine is hot. It is normal when the engine is cold but im pretty sure it was like that before i put the intake in. Should I remove the intake before taking to the dealership????

ummm, Yeah
    ''ya wanna go"

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Smoking tailpipe

Originally posted by NoSir 420
    There are no leaks and ... blue smoke comes out. I've lost almost a quart and a half in 3000 miles.
    The consumption rate isn't *formally* a problem; anything below 1 quart in 1K mi and some dealers will try to shrug you off. Some *manufacturers* will try to shrug you off, but that's another story (1st gen., large-turbo Ford 2.0L 4s would go through 1 qt. of Mobil 1 per 1K miles "normally..." Even earlier 1.6L turbo 4 Fords could be just as bad - but at least they had the decency to leak some out.). YMMV on that one.

That said, my car uses from 0 to 600 ml per 3K miles at 17K on the odometre, depending on use and oil used etc..

The smoke is an official, honest-to-goodness, take-no-prisoners PROBLEM though, and don't take *any* answer that does not involve the problem getting fixed IMMEDIATELY. This will probably involve you driving around in a loaner car. Good luck and keep us posted.

SD
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-30-2003 at 10:23 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I took off the intake and im not losing any more oil and all my problems are gone. DONT BUY a short ram from aem without having an aftermarket a fuel management computer. My MASwas all messed up with that intake on there and kept leaning out and i guess that burned oil??
    Last edited by NoSir 420; 08-01-2003 at 10:37 AM.

[i]with a fuel computer. [/B]
    what do you mean by that...
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    I like A/C for the sole reason that it makes the idle sound meaner.

wow dude... id still take ur car in to get a diagnostics and check up after all it went through
    " The Beauty of all wheel drive"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.