Valve clearance adjustment

This is a discussion on Valve clearance adjustment within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone do their own valve clearance adjustment? How was it?...

Valve clearance adjustment

Anyone do their own valve clearance adjustment? How was it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Valve clearance adjustments aren't usually done unless it's making a lot of noise.

I thought it was required at 60k miles??? This thing doesn't have hydraulic lifters, does it?

tan
    Yeah it's required....but checking the valve clearance alone costs about $400 at the dealership, all labor.

Most places don't bother checking it since it's labor intensive, thus expensive for the customer, unless it's noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by tan View Post
    Yeah it's required....but checking the valve clearance alone costs about $400 at the dealership, all labor.

Most places don't bother checking it since it's labor intensive, thus expensive for the customer, unless it's noisy.
    That is true but lets imagine that we were going to do it ourselves as I am in a few moments. Where would one find the specifications for the valve clearance? I am currently replacing my head gaskets, would like to adjust the valves on my 99 impreza 2.5rs (sohc) since im already here with easy access to the valves.