Smoke From Engine...HELP! ! !
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Smoke From Engine...HELP! ! ! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2003 WRX - STOCK all the way, save for Synthetic motor oil. I drove to work today ...

Smoke From Engine...HELP! ! !

I have a 2003 WRX - STOCK all the way, save for Synthetic motor oil.

I drove to work today arriving at 4pm. At around 7:30 I drove to get something to eat, while at the drive-thru I thought I smelled smoke but figured it was the Civic ahead of me. I drove back to work, about 1 block away from work I stopped at a light, saw some light to moderate smoke coming out of my hood scoop...I lef the engine running and popped the hood only to find the source of the smoke to be coming from somewhere under the turbo heat shield...The smoke wasnt heavy or too steady. I returned to work, called my friend in a panic, and he said it may be nothing and to drive the car full boost tonight and see if it persists. Well, I took it for a quick run and smelled smoke (oily smell) again but did not see it this time.
    I changed my oil about 3 weeks ago. I peeked under the hood and found no oil dripping down the oil filter. I checked my oil and it is full.
    The only anomally is that I was up in Connecticut this weekend and ran out of gas (this is a whole other story about Subaru Roadside Assistance I will post here later). A tow truck brought gas to me (6 gallons) which i am sure he found behind his boat or 4 wheeler. I filled up with premium the next morning. Then, when I returned to N.J. I added Octane boost and filled up again.
    Any ideas? I know I should bring it to the dealer but just want some input from you guys first.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe feel around the back/bottom of the Turbo to see if the oil feed line is leaking.

(make sure its NOT hot..)

Shotgun

Originally posted by ShotgunTC88
    Maybe feel around the back/bottom of the Turbo to see if the oil feed line is leaking.

(make sure its NOT hot..)

Shotgun
    I think you meant return line which is the soft piece of hose running from the bottom of the turbo back to the engine block. Its only connected with little spring clamps so its possible for it to come loose I guess. I actually re-installed my stock turbo once with the drain line not all the way on the fitting. It got oil all over my downpipe and smoked like a b!tch. Its very hard to get to that area with the down pipe on BTW.

If its leaking oil from the feed line you should be able to see that. Its the little metal line running to the top of the turbo between the compressor and turbine.

This is just one possibility, there's a good chance its something else.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

J, Yep..

.My bad (brain fart<g>)

Shotgun

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Smoke From Engine...HELP! ! !

Originally posted by robertln
    I have a 2003 WRX - STOCK all the way, save for Synthetic motor oil.
    This is all the info you need. Don't worry. This is *not* your problem. No matter what it is it will be fixed under warranty.

That said, the simplest answer is that it's oil seeping from the drain plug and being pushed onto the passenger side exhaust piping, where it fries off. Double-check the sump drain plug. Did you change the crush washer when dropping the old oil? (Keep your receipts when doing your own maintenance and document date/mileage for warranty purposes, incidentally). I've seen this described by a paniced owner to a rather busy dealer service manager.

If this is the case get a new crush washer, let the car cool completely, put a pan under the sump, pull the drain plug and plug the sump hole with your (gloved!) thumb, toss the old crush washer, put the new one on with the flat side toward the drain plug and the indented side toward the sump, reverse the thumb magic, and tighten till it's snug (but don't godzilla it). Top off the amount of oil lost; you can estimate by looking all over your arm, clothing, and floor... I've done this a couple times on other people's cars and it's feasible even for me (I'm slow and clumsy!).

Other options are the turbo return line as mentioned above, though that's much more infrequent, and a gasket or seal around the passenger side head.

Also, spilled oil looks, smells, and acts much worse than it is when heated, and a little goes a long way.

In any case, see if it still does it and if so just take it in.

Also, Subaru neither endorses nor prohibits the use of *any* API SL oil in the weights specified in the manual, synthetic or not. Your car is absolutely stock and will be repaired under warranty if the world is running correctly.

Sorry to hear about this; I know what it's like to worry. Let us know what happens.

SD
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-10-2003 at 01:57 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

...thanks (long)

Thanks everyone for all advise & reassurance...
    I got the car home last night, still had slight oil-burn smell, but no visible smoke (because it was night?). I got underneath the car, visually inspected the filter and drain plug. Unless it is seaping out under pressure there are no leaks from either. I can't see the hose going to the turbo or if anything was dripping. BTW - the only thing i did see by the oil filter was some of that "carbon buildup" which is probably from another source (ie: road dirt/grime).
    So i called my local dealership service department this morning...I spoke to the service manager to whom I've dealt with before. He first told me he was down two mechanics (I can certainly understand his dilemna but this is not of my concern) and wouldnt be able to look at it until tomorrow. I countered that I needed the car to drive to work, and told him I was in the area and very close to the dealership. He replied that I should call roadside assistance and have it towed in. I asked if a loaner car was available - he said he was all out, and stated further that he would have to look at the car before Subaru would even approve a loaner car. On that note I told him I would see what I could do. I soon called Subaru Customer service and explained that I didn't want to take that step but I was not treated very well. Within 5 minutes Subaru C.S. had contacted the dealer. When Subaru C.S. rep. came back on the line, he told me the Service Manager now had a better idea of availability of loaner cars and he has one ready for me. I just needed to call him. So i called the manager, and was told to call Enterprise and let them know he had approved a rental. I did so and am expexting I will hear form the dealership tomorrow.
    Just for the record I use Amsoil Synthetic of recommended weight in the manual. It is ASI approved. I did use a new crush washer when changing the oil. The oil dip stick shows FULL. Thanks again and I will update everyone.
    -Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    OK hang in there, this is what dealers and customer service are for. Too bad it wasn't a simple crush washer, but hopefully they'll find the issue and fix it soon enough. Good luck.
    SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Update

I just received word from the dealer that no problems were found. I know I saw and smelled smoke so I don't know what's up. But I did my part and brought it in so at least i covered my a**. Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

P.S. - Don't take your' Subie seats for granted !!! Two days of driving a Jeep Liberty is killing my back.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.