noob Oil change question

This is a discussion on noob Oil change question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys my salesman told me to change the oil right after break-in at 1,000 miles just to get the ...

noob Oil change question

hey guys my salesman told me to change the oil right after break-in at 1,000 miles just to get the various metals/shavings out since its new... What do you guys think. Also, when can i start putting synthetic oil in?

Thanks
    2004 WRB 5spd
    catless

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You are probably going to get many different answers on this question, but here is my take.

Changing your oil at 1,000 miles certainly can't hurt your engine. However, I was told that the WRX does not come with special "break-in" oil that needs to be changed at 1,000 miles.

Regarding synthetic, the consensus here is to wait anywhere between 6,000 and 15,000 miles. I waited 9,000 miles before I changed to Mobil 1 5W-30. There are of course people who will say switch to synthetic right away, and others will say that by waiting a few oil changes you allow your gaskets and seals to expand to an apropriate level (thereby preventing leaks when you switch to synthetic).

Good luck.

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

Shadow is right, you will get many different answers to your question. My view on the 1000 mile oil change is do it. As Shadow mentioned it won't hurt your engine and will certainly get rid of some metal that has accumulated while in the break-in period. It is not that hard to change the oil so you can do it yourself. The synthetic oil question is all up to you. Browse around the board and see which mileage you feel comfortable with, after all, it is YOUR car. I asked my dealer (Carlsen Subaru) when was a good time to change to synthetic oil for the engine as well as the tranny, and they said 10k miles.

i agree with your dealer. I actually changed my oil with a free service coupon at 700 miles cuz i was headed on a long trip, but 1000 would have been my choice. Next change will now be 3700 to mobil 1 5w30 (then every 5000miles) with a Bosch filter if they make one for the wrx, here's why:

I think Bosch filters kept my oil cleaner on my old truck than say fram, etc. No quantitative evidence.

Mobil 1 5w30 will resist thermal breakdown, and the old label (before the quicky oil change craze) used to say good for up to 25,000 miles!

I used to go 5000-7000 miles between changes with my old 305ci chevy truck, and from 75,000 to 150,000 miles, never had any discernible change in power, mpg or oil consumption (1000m/qt).

The subaru help email said to wait to change to synthetic til at least 1000 miles (they strongly recommended it) but once changed, not to keep switching as the seals and such get "used" to synthetic or conventional oils. I don't know if i buy this, but it doesn't matter, I'm sold on M1. Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: noob Oil change question

Originally posted by 2k4WRX
    hey guys my salesman told me to change the oil right after break-in at 1,000 miles just to get the various metals/shavings out since its new... What do you guys think. Also, when can i start putting synthetic oil in?
    Thanks
    What we think is completely irrelevant, and just as useless as the salesperson's comment. What does your owner's manual say?

Also see the oil change sticky thread.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I also just turned 1000m on my 04 and was wondering the same thing. So I called 3 local dealers and talked to the service managers. Here are my results:\
    Dealer #1 - Subaru no longer uses the same break in oil that was used in previous years. So now they recommend 3000 instead of 1000.
    Dealer #2 - Same answer.
    Dealer #3 - Same story but also said the oil had a special additive that needed to stay in the motor until 3000m.

Manual says 3000?

Now I am really
    04 JBP
    Stock - they are watching.

I Support ClubWRX
    Long story short - I followed the manual to the word at the dealer's until 13K, using dino oil. I'm now doing my own changes using a Group IV API SL synthetic (M1 10W-30). Just have a look at the sticky post, it's 6 pages or so of info, no worries.
    SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.