30,000 mile service
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 30,000 mile service within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm almost there, and my dealership does it for 9.95. It includes oil change, transmission fluid change, differential fluid ...

30,000 mile service

So I'm almost there, and my dealership does it for $529.95. It includes oil change, transmission fluid change, differential fluid change, cooling system service, and a performance tune up. I plan on doing everything myself, but I was wondering if the cooling system inspection and "performance" tune up were necessary?
    Last edited by WRXin'; 07-04-2003 at 03:12 PM.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For the cooling system, i would just drain the system, refil, pressure check the system and make sure to burp the system COMPLETLEY with the heater on full blast. As for the tune up, the only thing i can think they are going to change is the plugs. You can probaly do that your self. If you need anything else, just ask me.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Thanks a lot man Now, here's where I sound like a newbie. This is the first car that I've owned where I've popped the hood more than twice. How do I drain, refil, and pressure check the cooling system...also I assume the cooling system is the radiator and what not, right? Sorry if this requires a long reply...any help is much appreciated
    Fahd

To drain the system, there should be a petcock on the radiator--you know what let me go check............... I cant see one so somebody else is going to have to check or you can just take off the lower radiator hose (that will be messy). As for refil, fill it at the highest point of the system (radiator cap). Now there is a cooling system "burper" that you can buy, but the low cost way is to fill the system until its like 2 in below the top of the cap. Then, turn your heater on full blast and start the car. You should see bubbles coming up- dont let the coolant level get too low. Every couple of seconds, squeeze the radiator hoses so no bubbles collect. Do this until the fans turn on and the thermostat opens. Top off the system and to pressure test the system, you need a cooling system pressure tester. In my proffesional opinion, you really dont need to pressure test it unless its loosing coolant.
    Whew..... any more questions, ask.
    Corey
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Corey, you are awesome Thanks a bunch man
    Fahd

Where the !@#!$ is the radiator/coolant drain plug?? I searched under the car for like 2 hours looking for it...and struggled with the terrrible pics in the manual and the service guide. What side of the car is it on? I take it that its probably right under the radiator...I need some ramps

In the process...i saw the silencer and decided to take it out. Sounds nice...however there is defintely a power loss...feels like my car was castrated. I think i'll hack it next week even though I am sure that it won't make much of a difference. I may try to reset the ECU....thats near the passenger side seat, correct? And what's the reset process...a simple button? Nah...it can't be that easy

to reset the ECU, Just disconnect the battery, open the door and hit the brakes a couple times. Leave it disconnected for like a minute. As for where the drain plug is located, ill have to put the car on my lift and check. Ill see if i have time to do that today.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

Is is that all? Whats the significance of pressing the brake? Thanks again.

drain the surface charge.
    WRXin'- what are your mods????
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

cnk
    Originally posted by Able Knight
    Where the !@#!$ is the radiator/coolant drain plug?? I searched under the car for like 2 hours looking for it...and struggled with the terrrible pics in the manual and the service guide. What side of the car is it on? I take it that its probably right under the radiator...I need some ramps
    The drain plug is on the passenger side of the car. You need to take off the splash shield (3 bolts and 4 clips IIRC). You'll see it right on the bottom corner of the radiator. . .kind of like a wing nut.

Calvin

Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    WRXin'- what are your mods????
    Uppipe, dp, EBC, catback, intake, and BOV...why do you ask?
    Fahd

Originally posted by Able Knight

In the process...i saw the silencer and decided to take it out. Sounds nice...however there is defintely a power loss...feels like my car was castrated. I think i'll hack it next week even though I am sure that it won't make much of a difference. I may try to reset the ECU....thats near the passenger side seat, correct? And what's the reset process...a simple button? Nah...it can't be that easy
    This may help you out Service Manual excerpt: Periodic Maintenance
    Fahd

check this thread out too.

30.000 miles service

worth merging these all together mods? i'll leave it up to you.

dR

just thinkin how much you could benefit from a iridium plug change.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    just thinkin how much you could benefit from a iridium plug change.
    My friend got NGK brand Iridium plugs on his MR-2 and they went bad in less than a month. I would go with Platinums.
    Fahd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast